Forgot and updated

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jim Mac
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Forgot and updated

Post by Jim Mac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:40 pm

It's been a while since I've worked on my app and, in the meantime, I forgot and upgraded to iOS 15 on my primary device. Xcode said it couldn't connect to the device so I updated Xcode to 13 and I can connect but I still can't load the new version of my app on my device. I assume the issue is the iOS version but I'm hoping not. I will likely just have to wait until a new LC version comes out......

Somehow in the process, I misplaced my copy of Xcode 12.5 so I had 12.5.1 selected in LC preferences. The box shows green so I thought I was good to go but since the app won't load through Xcode, something's wrong. Am I correct that I need to go back to 12.5 rather than 12.5.1 in order to satisfactorily build iOS standalone with LiveCode 9.6.4?

jacque

Re: Forgot and updated

Post by jacque » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Yes, you need 12.5. I had also tried building with 12.5.1 and it crashed on older iPhones.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for confirming my fear.
I wish the Mobile Support pane had shown red when I pointed to 12.5.1. Would have known I was in trouble from the gitgo and may not have lost my copy of 12.5.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:01 am

To be fair, I asked on the mailing list and Panos didn't think a dot-update should matter. They've posted previously that those small updates usually don't. In this case I could build an app without trouble and it installed and ran on all test devices but one, an old iPad running an ancient version of iOS. That one crashed immediately on launch. When I rebuilt with Xcode 12.5 it ran okay there.

I use ad-hoc distribution for testing so I don't really deal with Xcode itself much, and I didn't try installing from it.

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:35 am

Thanks Jacque.

I'm making progress.
Reloaded xCode 12.5 and can now save a standalone, process it through AirLaunch, get the .ipa file and upload it through "Transfer" with no errors. The new build still has not shown up in appstoreconnect but I've read that can take a very LONG time (days?).

I am concerned I've missed something though. When last I worked on the app, I had to include my own plist in the standalone build due to some NSLocation weirdness with the app store acceptance process (I don't use locations so it was a mystery). Thinking things had likely progressed since then, I removed the custom plist from the "Copy Files" section before building the new standalone. The plist generated now (and included in the airLaunch build) seems awfully short.

I'm concerned the reason the build hasn't shown up in the appstoreconnect site is that it doesn't have a valid build number and that I may need to put the custom list back in. If so, I'd guess its format has changed a lot but I'm not sure how to get a "template" to tweak. It used to be a case of inserting a few lines in the auto-generated file but now?... I remember I had to be careful about updating the build number in the plist. Now I don't even see how that's actually tracked in the new plist.

Do you/anyone have any hints?

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:19 am

If there was anything wrong with the upload I'd think Apple's bot would have told you by now. Transporter told me about an incorrect version number when I tried to upload and denied the submission so you're probably okay with that part. Generally uploads show up in the TestFlight pane pretty quickly and I think the current status is there too, but I'm not looking at it just now to verify that.

My last upload took a few hours to show up in the version page where I could choose it for review.

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:21 pm

UPDATE:
Well things are working now. I think I was just being impatient. I have successfully built a number of versions, tweaking and fixing various things (at 19 now) and have successfully uploaded each to the App Store for testing using TestFlight.

For those who may still be having trouble with this stuff.... Here's my workflow for updating the app in the App Store (for testing purposes) This assumes you've gotten the login, bundleID and provisioning profiles stuff worked out:

1. Create a standalone making sure to update the version number in the IOS standalone settings, (If you re-use a number you've done in the past... Transporter lets you know and doesn't upload)[/list]
2. Use AirLaunch to create the .ipa file.
3. Drag the .ipa file to transporter.[Note: I use iCloud Drive to store the app files. I need to wait until the ".ipa" file has completed uploading before I drag it to Transporter... otherwise it glitches]
4. Click "Deliver" in Transporter and it'll upload to the App Store if it can
5. After upload, click on "View in App Store Connect" to open App Store Connect in your browser.
6. Click on TestFlight to see the builds that are available. The new one should be there with a "processing" message
7. Wait for a while (refreshing the screen...maybe?) until the"Processing" message goes away and is replaced wiih "Missing Export Compliance"
8. Click the link, answer the prompt and click "Start Testing" [Note: I don't use any export controlled stuff or encryption so have no idea what happens if one does)
9. The message changes to "Ready to Submit" and test users get notified about the update.

I don't really take advantage of the "automated tester feedback" as we're really small. I just wait for the "Why'd you do this?" feedback to happen in person. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “iOS Deployment”