"could not find a valid identity.." please help!

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adventuresofgreg

"could not find a valid identity.." please help!

Post by adventuresofgreg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 pm

This is driving me nuts.

I have a iOS distribution certificate that is used in an Ad Hoc provisioning profile that I am using in LC 9.6.2 RC2 on a mac running Xcode 9.2, and I can create iOS standalones that run on any device PRIOR to iOS 14

On another Mac (a new MacPro) running BigSur, LC 9.6.2 RC2 and Xcode 12.1 (a valid, compatible combination), I download the same certificate from apple, download the same provisioning profile from apple, install them, and I can generate a standalone, but I keep getting the error "Could not find a valid identity".

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, and it seems like my certificate is fine, and it's installed in Keychain, and "This certificate is valid". What am i doing wrong?? What exactly IS "a valid IDENTITY" anyhow? Is it the certificate?

Greg

adventuresofgreg

Re: "could not find a valid identity.." please help!

Post by adventuresofgreg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm

And again, right on queue, I find the solution moments after posting the problem. But, this should help others having the same issue. Of course, there is no documentation anywhere that specifies this, nor any error message that points to a solution (I got all the way to successfully generating a standalone then got the very informative error message "Installation failed" when copying over to my device). Apple wants you to keep banging your head against your desk until you discover it by accident. 

It turns out that you cannot use certificates created from another machine just by downloading them from your Apple dev page to your new machine (at least not with BigSur). You have to request a new certificate from the machine you are going to dev on.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Aha, so that's it. You can also export the certificates from one machine and import them to the new machine, but recreating them also works.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Very useful info. Thanks for sharing!!!
Simon

Return to “iOS Deployment”