Suddenly resizing for a different size device

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Suddenly resizing for a different size device

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 pm

marksmithhfx wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:28 pm
So if I supply a set of splash screens as Jacque has described above (ie. just a copy of the 1st screen in the app) for various sizes then iOS will use the right size and scale the app to that. Correct?
Not exactly. You'll still need to account for the contents of each card, either with fullscreenmode or by positioning every control.
Do you have a preferred set of sizes that covers the ratio gamut?
If you're using a version of LC earlier than 9.6.1 then you'll need a bunch of sizes. Hovering the mouse over the folder icon tells you what dimensions each one needs to be. They have to be exact to the pixel. If you're using the latest version of LC, then iOS will scale any existing launch screen. If you have three then it will scale using the launch screen with the closest dimensions.

It isn't too important what sizes the launch screens are, but you should provide a representative mix of common screen sizes. I'm using:
  • 750x1334
  • 1242x2208
  • 2048x2732
One more thing. We tried to arrange our launch screen to directly match the first card, which it did on the device with the same native size as the stack, but on other devices the scaled launch screen didn't match and the transition looked bad. So we used the company logo on the launch screen, and the app was accepted into the App Store without any problem. I think Apple knows about the problem and gives it a pass.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:52 pm

kdjanz wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 am
What 3 sizes work for you? Do you need 3 for a phone and 3 for an iPad or do you make a completely separate app for the iPad size?
No, the new method uses the same screens you supply for all devices. If you look at Standalone Settings, you'll see that there is only room for up to three at most.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:42 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 pm
Not exactly. You'll still need to account for the contents of each card, either with fullscreenmode or by positioning every control.
Do you have a preferred set of sizes that covers the ratio gamut?
If you're using a version of LC earlier than 9.6.1 then you'll need a bunch of sizes. Hovering the mouse over the folder icon tells you what dimensions each one needs to be. They have to be exact to the pixel. If you're using the latest version of LC, then iOS will scale any existing launch screen. If you have
Thanks Jacque. Wonderful advice. I'm in the midst of still defining a few cards, but more than 1/2 way in at the moment so the need for this is going to come up fast. Really appreciate it.

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:52 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 pm
It isn't too important what sizes the launch screens are, but you should provide a representative mix of common screen sizes. I'm using:
  • 750x1334
  • 1242x2208
  • 2048x2732
Hi Jacque, if you don't mind me asking, what do you use to create these screens? I thought I would start with a screen shot and then resize in ppt but found it doesn't have a way to make exact pixel sizes, it just gives dimensions in mm. (or is there away to convert from mm to px?)

Thanks
Mark

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:31 am

My client has an artist who makes these, he uses Photoshop. The free Graphic Converter app will also measure in pixels.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:44 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:31 am
My client has an artist who makes these, he uses Photoshop. The free Graphic Converter app will also measure in pixels.
Thanks Jacque,

I wish I was so lucky -- having real graphic skills is a definite asset in the LC universe.

Mark

Return to “iOS Deployment”