Not able to load app onto iPhone

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

garyds

Not able to load app onto iPhone

Post by garyds » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 am

Hey all,

My development device decided to update yesterday, it's now on version. 13-5-1
I'm having issues where Xcode will not load the app onto the device via the device organiser, I usually build the app to a certain point then test via loading it on by simply selecting the app and dropping it onto the iPhone.

I have tried different variants of Xcode and LC but nothing is allowing the app install, it's very frustrating as I have a few projects running which need huge amounts of testing. I know this is a huge job for LC, trying to keep up with Apple but as you can imagine it's pretty annoying when a minor update breaks the install method.

Does anybody have any work arounds?

I'm using MacOS Catalina 10-15-6 - Xcode 11-5 - LiveCode Indy 9-6-1 RC2 | The target device is an iPhone 11 running iOS 13-5-1

Cheers,
Gary

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Not able to load app onto iPhone

Post by jacque » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51 pm

I usually cable the phone to the Mac directly and use the Test button in LC's toolbar. That works fine for me. Make sure you have selected a valid Xcode in mobile preferences, and choose your phone in the Development ->Target menu. Also make sure you have a valid profile and certificate.

If it doesn't install that way, LC often gives you a reason why.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

garyds

Post by garyds » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks for the reply.

When I press the test button it complains the 13-5 emulator isn't installed. I have the emulator loaded into Xcode but the problem is likely the fact Livecode won't add Xcode as a deployment option. It's looking for <= 13-4 and refuses to add it. I have tried 9-6 and all RC versions but nothing successfully connects to Xcode even when all emulators are available.

I'm really confused on what I need to do moving forwards, been using LC for years with no problems as such but this has stopped me in my tracks.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Gary

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 pm

I think the latest Xcode isn't set as the default. You can do that in Xcode prefs. I'm not at my Mac right now so I can't look, but there's a pane in prefs that lets you set which version of the command line tools should be used as default.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello Gary,
My development device decided to update yesterday, it's now on version. 13-5-1
I'm having issues where Xcode will not load the app onto the device via the device organiser, I usually build the app to a certain point then test via loading it on by simply selecting the app and dropping it onto the iPhone.
Does Xcode see your connected device? The fact that the iOS version version of your device has changed should not cause any problems. You should be able to install your .app in your device just like you did when it was running iOS 13.4.

What error(s) are you getting when you try to drag the .app file onto the Applications section of your device in the "Devices and Simulators" window?

Kind regards,
Panos
--

Batninja

Post by Batninja » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 am

Hello, I wonder if anyone can advise why my IOS devices do not show as test targets in Livecode.

I only realised just now that an IOS device cabled to my Mac should show up as a test target?

I've always tested on the simulator and then deployed to iPad/iPhone by dragging a standalone app via the devices window in Xcode. But of course, it would be way easier to just test directly to a connected device.

I'm running:
  • Livecode 9.6.1
  • Mac OS Catalina 10.17.7
  • XCode 11.5
  • iPad Air IOS 14
  • iPhone 6s IOS 14
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Roger

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Hello Roger,

What LiveCode edition are you using? This feature is available in the Business edition of LiveCode.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

Batninja

Post by Batninja » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:48 am

Ah thanks, that’s the reason! I’m on the Indy version.

Zilantrop

Post by Zilantrop » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:43 pm

Hm, that's odd. I've been using LC for a long time now and never struggled with this. What first came to my mind was that maybe you're not using the right LiveCode edition.

Return to “iOS Deployment”