Standalone does not look like desktop

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Standalone does not look like desktop

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm wondering if I have a problem, or just some learning to do.

I built a very simple datagrid using LC 9.0.4, Mac OS 10.14.2, Xcode 10.1 and iOS 13.5.1 which does look like a supported config in the FAQ (I think).

As indicated by the image below, the appearance on the desktop (left) and in the sim (right) is quite a bit different. I should note that the sim and real iPhone 6s show exactly the same thing. The LC stack is set for iPhone 6 and the sim for 6s as they are the same size.

As noted, the standalone is too wide for the screen, the scrollbar does not even appear on screen, and occupies quite a bit more space vertically as well. The font and font size are different, and in general the appearance on the desktop is not replicated in the sim at all.

Is this just a learning curve to get these looking the same? And what steps does one need to take ie. fonts, font size, dg size, etc. Sorry to ask such basic questions but I haven't tried to do this in quite some time. My goal, which from reading here might be ambitious, is to have a scrolling datagrid that has editable fields and swipe gestures. If anyone has forged this path successfully and has some tips to share that would be appreciated. Thanks

PS apologies for the image quality. I do have some quite nice ones on my desktop but had to degrade the image quality considerably to get it uploaded here. Does anyone know the exact max image size for the forums?
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.39.12 PM.png
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Standalone does not look like desktop

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm

That's a bummer.

Did it occur to you to set the fontSize in the datagrid?

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:38 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm
That's a bummer.

Did it occur to you to set the fontSize in the datagrid?
Thanks Richmond. I haven't tried anything yet. This is my first foray into datagrid on iOS and I wasn't sure what to expect. It does seem like it will take a lot of fiddling to get it right. Also worried about "resizing" for other devices. Seems there is a lot of work to make this work on mobile, so I decided to find out if anyone has pioneered a solution before me.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:42 pm

so I decided to find out if anyone has pioneered a solution before me
Datagrids have me running scared, so I tend to stick with listFields and tableFields. 8)

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm

The easiest way is to use fullscreenmode "show all". You may see black borders where the screen size ratios are different, which you can work around by setting the stack background color to avoid the default black.

The other way is to script the positioning of every object. Try the fullscreenmode option first to see if that works.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm

jacque wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm
The easiest way is to use fullscreenmode "show all". You may see black borders where the screen size ratios are different, which you can work around by setting the stack background color to avoid the default black.

The other way is to script the positioning of every object. Try the fullscreenmode option first to see if that works.
Thanks Jacque. I was not aware of the fullscreenmode and its various options so that, along with previous (2013) discussions of dgProps and row and header height has helped to good effect (see below). I'll tell you what I am struggling with now... it's editing the text in the fields. I've just barely been able to train myself to hit the same spot twice at the right speed, pressure and location to get the edit field template to appear but it's definetely hit and miss (sorry for the sad pun) with no better than about a 25% success rate. Any thoughts?

Mark
IMG_0504.jpeg

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:21 pm

I almost never work with datagrids so I can't be much help here. Hopefully someone else can provide an answer.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:39 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:21 pm
I almost never work with datagrids so I can't be much help here. Hopefully someone else can provide an answer.
I'll answer my own question since I have sorted this out. Locked and unlocked fields. The DG by default uses locked fields and it's own built in EditField editor. First, I don't like the look of the EditField editor -- it doesn't feel natural. Second, there appears to be some bugs related to selecting this custom field editor which need sorting. So, I opted for unlocked fields, which is presenting a few difficulties of its own, but for the most part, is working fine.

Mark

Return to “iOS Deployment”