ERROR ITMS-90022 Bundle does not contain App Icon

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gstarox

ERROR ITMS-90022 Bundle does not contain App Icon

Post by gstarox » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:11 am

I made an iPhone app in LC9,6,0. I saved as a standalone app with all .png Icons and Splash screens uploaded correctly in the Standalone Application Settings.
I made the .ipa file and submitted it via Application Loader and I got this error

ERROR ITMS-90022: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly '120x120' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7,0. To support older versions of iOS, the icon may be required in the bundle outside of an asset catalog. Make sure the Info,plist file includes appropriate entries referencing the file. See
Same error for 76x76 and 152x152 pixels

When I put the app onto a simulator or my personal iPhone device the app icon still displays as the default white one but splash screen works fine.
If I right click on the .app file and show package contents I can see all the splash images but no sign of the icon images.

Mac Catalina Version 10,15,3
iPhone X IOS 13,3,1
LiveCode 9,6,0 (dp3)
Xcode 10,1 & 11,3 placed in the iOS SDKs (took a lot of trial and error with livecode and xcode sdk versions before it let me build a standalone app without erroring, so that's why I'm using these)

Thanks,

Gee

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: ERROR ITMS-90022 Bundle does not contain App Icon

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 am

Hello Gee,

Is it by any chance an old app, which you have recompiled with LC 9.6?

It might be worth clearing all the icons and reselecting them, at least this has fixed the problem for another user that had exactly the same issue in the past.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

gstarox

Post by gstarox » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:08 pm

LiveCode_Panos wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 am
Hello Gee,

Is it by any chance an old app, which you have recompiled with LC 9,6?

It might be worth clearing all the icons and reselecting them, at least this has fixed the problem for another user that had exactly the same issue in the past.

Kind regards,
Panos
--
Hi Panos,
Initially I started making this app a few days ago in LC 9,5 but then I found it would refuse to run on the simulator (xcode 10,1, SDK 12,1)
So then I opened up this same app in LC 9,6 and continued making it. I was able to run it in simulator (xcode 10,1, SDK 12,1 or xcode 11,3 SDK 13,3) and my physical iPhone. So I finished making my app. I made my icons with Adobe Illustrator. I uploaded all the icons png. files at the respective dimensions. But no app icon shows up in the simulator or on my physical device and I keep getting ERROR ITMS-90022 for 120x120, 76x76 and 152x152

Things I've tried:
- cleared all the icons and reselected them
- moved my icons to my computer's Documents folder (as that's the only way my audio copy files seemed to work), cleared all the icons and reselected them
- I've tried compiling my standalone app with LC9,5 and LC 9,6 and got the same ERROR ITMS-90022
- I made brand new stacks separately in both LC9,5 and LC9,6 with a single button to test, selected the same icons. The app icons still do not appear in the simulator.
- I tried downloading the default .png from appiconmaker(dot)co, selected these and that also did not appear on the simulator or physical device. I tried putting my file through various online or Mac program resize generators as well. Are there any sample icons I can test with, so I can rule out that it's the .png files.

I'm not sure if the issue is with my App icon .png files or a LC/Xcode problem and I could spend hours looking down the wrong avenue
If it's a .png issue -> I exported my .png from Adobe Illustrator there are a lot of options I could choose from and I don't know if this affects it
- Should I merge my layers
- PNG8 vs PNG 24
- Transparency On vs Off
- Interlaced On vs Off
- None vs Art Optimised vs Type Optimised
Is it something to do with the resolution or colour space, I've been exporting these icons based on the 'pixels' dimensions that are specified but not focusing on the resolution eg my icon with dimension 152 x 152 has a resolution of 11 x 11 and colour space of RGB
If it's a LC/Xcode issue
- Should I be deleting and reinstalling all my LC and Xcodes. Which combination should I even using ideally?
- Should I restart my app from scratch in one particular LC?

I should technically be seeing any of App Icons on the simulator of my physical device (when I build a developer's standalone app) right?
Also why is it only the iOS7 icons? when we are building for 8,0 and later anyway. iOS7 Hi-Res iPhone (120x120), iOS7 iPad (76x76), iOS7 Hi-Res iPad (152x152)

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:13 pm

Hello gstarox,

Could you upload the icons you use that cause the problem? I can test in my device and simulator and see if they work for me.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

gstarox

Post by gstarox » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49 am

LiveCode_Panos wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:13 pm
Hello gstarox,

Could you upload the icons you use that cause the problem? I can test in my device and simulator and see if they work for me.

Kind regards,
Panos
--
UPDATE: I attempted the manual fix and it almost worked
I guess I'm not sure where the heart of the problem lies but I figured out a manual workaround.
1. I put the App icon images in my Documents folder and then added them to Copy Files and created a Standalone App
2. I 'showed package contents' of the .app and copied the info,plist file and pasted it in my Documents folder
3. I edited the info,plist in Xcode > Editor > Add Item > Icon Files and listed all the App icon image file names
4. I added this new info,plist to Copy Files and recreated a new Standalone App
5. When I tested this on my physical iPhone, the icon showed up perfectly. And when I submitted through Transporter it went through without any errors. But after Submitting for Review on App Store Connect it said "Invalid Binary" The email I got from apple outlined different errors, so I will attempt to fix these.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qfADU ... cKnMVDq1PO
The images labelled Kettle are the ones I exported myself from Adobe Illustrator
The images labelled icon-72@2x,png are ones had generated from an only resize generator just to test if that would help

I was going to attempt to manually fix this by putting the images in copy files and editing the info,plist and putting that also in copy files. I'm not sure if that has any chance of working.

Thankyou for your help Panos, much appreciated.

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 am

Hello gstarox,

Thank you for the icons. I have tested using your icons, and they do work for me.

Since they work for you when you use the workaround of putting them in the Copy Files along with a custom plist, it means there is probably a bug in the standalone builder.

I guess the problem is related to the standalone builder not resolving the path to your icon(s) correctly.

Where are your icons stored, and where is your stack stored?

In my tests, the stack myTest.livecode was in my Desktop folder, and your folder "App Icons for Panos" that contains the icons was in the Downloads folder.

Could you try this setup and see if it works?

Also, make sure your command line tools are the ones of the Xcode you are using. To ensure this, type in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo xcode-select -s path/to/your/xcode.app
Kind regards,
Panos
--

Return to “iOS Deployment”