dev box sufficient?

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

slowmaker

dev box sufficient?

Post by slowmaker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Howdy,

I'm interested in possibly doing iOS dev at some point; I gather that releasing standalones for iOS is not feasible unless I have an actual Mac of some sort, so I'm looking at this as a first foray into the Mac world:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K2M9FLB/ ... _lig_dp_it

Pro: I can - barely - afford this, sometime in the not too distant future
Con: I dunno, I'm completely unfamiliar with the specs needed to run Mac-land stuff decently. Never had any Mac experience before.

Any major cons I should be aware of? Anybody here actually used the LC IDE on one of these? And in particular, created standalones for iOS with no significant issues?

Would it be better to wait (even though it may take another year or so) and just continue saving for a high-end macbook?
(prefer laptop options anyway, only looking at the mini because it seems to be the cheapest-up-front toe-in-the-water option)
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. - Albert Einstein (LIFE Magazine (1955 may 2), p64)

Klaus

Re: dev box sufficient?

Post by Klaus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:00 pm

I am using a MacMini for years, so yes, that machine is definitively OK for your needs.

If you can afford it, a MacBook is of course an even finer thing! :-)

slowmaker

Post by slowmaker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks, Klaus! That's good to know; also good to have another indication that Macs apparently are quite long-lasting in their usefulness.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. - Albert Einstein (LIFE Magazine (1955 may 2), p64)

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Yep, I had to replace my Mini from late 2011 last year.
And I replaced with a late 2014 modell, which I intend to run for the next couple of years! :-)

Return to “iOS Deployment”