IOS crash report debugging - where is xcode dSYM?

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Havanna

IOS crash report debugging - where is xcode dSYM?

Post by Havanna » Fri May 08, 2015 1:04 pm

I have an App Store rejection because of a crash on startup (the app seems to run okay in simulator).
Apple has sent some crash reports, but the xcode debugging tips from apple are no help, as I can't find the .dSYM files as they advise.

How do I make sense of those crash reports?

Is there some kind of intermediate xcode data, alternatively how can I generate such?

Havanna

Anybody?

Post by Havanna » Tue May 12, 2015 10:43 am

Answers (or questions - I may not have mself clear) would be really appreciated.

This source runs fine on android (with different file paths of course) and there is no trouble on Windoze nor in the IDE or the IOS simlulator.
There should be a way to find the problem really!

JacobS

Re: IOS crash report debugging - where is xcode dSYM?

Post by JacobS » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi Havanna,

Have you tried testing the app on a physical iOS device? The App Store review team always tests on real devices, so that's likely why they are experiencing crashes that you don't see.
It's pretty easy to download crash logs through XCode from a physical iPad or iPhone as long as you have access to one. If you don't have access to any physical devices, it looks like you need to buy one!

Hope that helps you moving in the right direction.
-Jacob

Havanna

Post by Havanna » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:05 am

Thx, Jacob.
Yes, I test on a physical iphone 4S, to find how the app reacts on slower hardware.
Previous Version worked fine, and i can reproduce the crash now in simulator and Hardware, but the behaviour is really queer:
the first start always fails
I didn't notice on the simulator, because it just showed the homescreen with the new icon.
When I tap it again the app now mostly starts.
Erratically sometimes it takes two or three tries :roll: (and no problem in Windows, MacOS or Android!)

So I get IOS Crash Reports, but without the symbols that leaves me standing in the rain.

Is there any way to get the symbols for xcode, so I have a chance to pinpoint the problem?

JacobS

Post by JacobS » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Hmm. What version of LC are you using?
Before I upgraded to LC 7.0.5, my app would crash fairly erratically at startup, but the first start would always crash. This is just like your problem. But LC 7.0.5 fixed this issue for me. If you're not already using LC 7.0.5, I would upgrade to it.

As far as I know (and it seems StackOverflow agrees http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1188 ... rom-device), you need to have made an archive of your build for XCode using XCode. That's the only way you can turn a crash log into something usable. But I have no idea how to do this on LiveCode, or if it's possible at all.
From what I've read, it seems like you would need to build your app from XCode in order to get the dSYM file. So you might be out of luck.

Maybe someone else knows more about this than I do. 8)

Good luck,
Jacob

Havanna

Post by Havanna » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks JacobS,

the update did it.

Return to “iOS Deployment”