iOS 6

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

teacherguy

iOS 6

Post by teacherguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm

My apps crash immediately upon launch in iOS 6. I emailed support and they said they are working on folding in iOS 6 (naturally). I just thought I'd post to see if anyone has stumbled upon a simple cause, or if we're all just in a holding pattern for now.

Thanks

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: iOS 6

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have seen this reported a few times now. It means I have to buy a new license if I want to continue using LiveCode for iOS, unless Apple fixes the problem on their side.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

CALL-151
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by CALL-151 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:51 am

Have you tried LC 5.5.1? The release notes claim "Fixed bug – exit on startup when running on iOS 6.0 devices."

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:18 pm

That did the trick, thanks very much

Tester2

Post by Tester2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 pm

When people download my app on the App Store and are running iOS6, it will just flash and crash.

So do I just need to upload a new version of my app from LiveCode 5.5.1? And that will fix the issue?

Thanks.

SteveHanlan

Post by SteveHanlan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Great that 5.5.1 ( and 5.5.2) have the bug fixed.
However the recompile needs the xCode 4.5 update and I now cannot get LC to recognize the iOS 6 SDK

Steve

CALL-151

Post by CALL-151 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Tester2 wrote:So do I just need to upload a new version of my app from LiveCode 5.5.1? And that will fix the issue?
Yes, assuming there's nothing else about your app that causes it to fail in iOS6, rebuilding your standalone with LC >= 5.5.1 should do it.
SteveHanlan wrote:However the recompile needs the xCode 4.5 update and I now cannot get LC to recognize the iOS 6 SDK
Rebuilding with Xcode 4.5 isn't required for iOS6 compatibility. You can rebuild your standalone with an earlier version of Xcode. As long as you're using LC >= 5.5.1 the crash on launch issue with iOS6 should stop.

My installation of LC 5.5.1/xCode 4.5 lists iOS6 as an available simulator and I can select it as a test target. I have Preferences--> Mobile Support set to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

jlally

Post by jlally » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:32 am

Call-151,

Have you gotten your app to launch on a physical iPad?

When I tried to do this, XCode complained that I needed to upgrade to XCode 4.5.
After the upgrade, I found that while LC 5.5.1 could launch my app in the iOS6 simulator, it will not build a standalone that I could launch on my physical iPad (which runs iOS6).

I've seen others (and maybe you) post about copying files from an earlier version of XCode. Would you mind sharing instructions on how to do this? I'm new to the Mac world, and am finding it much more difficult to locate what I need when compared to my PC.

Thank you,
John
Lodestone Animation, Inc.
Macaroni Art for iOS

CALL-151

Post by CALL-151 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 am

Jially,

Yes, I've been able to install apps onto a physical iPad (running iOS6) with no Xcode errors.

The SDKs are indeed hard to find, because a while back Apple started hiding them inside Xcode. They can do this because Xcode looks like an app but it's really a "package", essentially a folder disguised to look like an app. To get inside, right click on Xcode and select Show Package Contents. You then need to navigate down the following path: Contents-->Developer-->Platform--> iPhoneOS.platform-->Developer-->SDKs. In the SDKs folder you need the iPhoneOS6.0.sdk folder AND the iPhoneOS5.1.sdk folder. If they're both there, your problems lie elsewhere. If the iPhoneOS5.1.sdk folder isn't there, you need to put it there. You'll need to follow the same process with an earlier version of Xcode so you can get to the 5.1 SDK folder and copy it. If you don't have an earlier Xcode, you can download it at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/i ... name=Xcode

Hope that helps...

ryanb93

Post by ryanb93 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 am

Not being funny but RunRev have had 3-4 months to get liveCode ready for compatibility with iOS 6, its ridiculous that we cant update our applications properly because of a dependency on livecode needing to being updated.

CALL-151

Post by CALL-151 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:21 am

At the risk of catapulting this thread off on a tangential rant, I think this is really more of an Apple issue due to the change in the delivery model for Xcode. Indeed, this has created confusion with other mobile development platform (e.g. Corona) as well. That being said, the LiveCode approach to selecting/testing/building for various SDKs has always been problematic. But you're right in that after several months LiveCode could have been better prepared for the transition. Tangent alert: Judging by recent releases, LC resources have been devoted primarily to Android parity at the expense of iOS. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but without resources to support the all things to all platforms model, LC risks falling behind. Other development tools (e.g. Corona) already support the iPhone 5 screen and appear close to builds supporting the expanded floating point instruction set in the new A6 processor (arm7s). I still regard LC as an extraordinary accomplishment and way ahead on the ease of use/power curve, but I hope they have the resources to keep up.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:00 pm

RR has said on the developer list that they were waiting for the GM release of iOS 6 before they could issue an update. Apple only released that a few days ago. The next release of LiveCode is being prepared now and is immanent.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

monte

Post by monte » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Why can't you update your apps? Simplest thing to do is use Xcode 4.4 to build. You don't actually need Xcode 4.5 yet but there are workarounds if you must use if for some reason.

I wouldn't worry about armv7s yet. There's a ton of code libraries out there uncompiled and untested for it. Anyone releasing code compiled for a processor they haven't tested it on is an idiot. Some people are doing some very hackish things to build for armv7s.

Cheers

Monte
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

jlally

Post by jlally » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 am

Call-151,

Thanks for the instructions & pointers on obtaining and installing earlier components of Xcode. I found both to be very helpful.
I was able to get my app to build as a standalone by following your instructions.

I'm still having trouble copying the build to my physical iPad, though, as I'm now getting this error:

"Could not change executable permissions on the application."

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this and/or has a workaround?

** Edit:
Upon further reading, it looks like iOS 6 has tightened its restrictions with respect to photos. While my app does not access a user's photos, it does use the "mobileExportImageToAlbum" command to allow a user to save jpeg's out from the app. Still looking for a solution, though...

Thanks again,
John
Lodestone Animation, Inc.
Macaroni Art for iOS

Return to “iOS Deployment”