group image differences on iPad and simulator

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

John
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

group image differences on iPad and simulator

Post by John » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:48 am

I am vey excited about the prospect of being able to use one code base to support both the Mac app store and iOS app store. So far so good except for one (large) issue related to image visibility. I have one group with background behavior. It spans multiple cards and contains a number of fields (used for navigation) and one image that serves as a backdrop for the app as a whole.

It woks on the mac (as a standalone) and on the iPad simulator but, when deployed on an iPad, the image is gone even though the fields are present. I used a number of other images in the stack for buttons and some card images and those are working. Any suggestions?

OBTW, I have several apps on the store, one written in objective C and the rest in Lua via Corona and I must say that LiveCode is so much nicer to get things up and running fast. Now, if I can get past this issue, I believe I found a place to settle in for a while.

Thanks,
John

RRobert

Re: group image differences on iPad and simulator

Post by RRobert » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 am

Hello John,

Could you paste some screenshots about the issue?
OBTW, I have several apps on the store, one written in objective C and the rest in Lua via Corona and I must say that LiveCode is so much nicer to get things up and running fast. Now, if I can get past this issue, I believe I found a place to settle in for a while.
Beside Obj-C & CocoaTouch, Dashcode + Nimblekit is also a nice combination.

Robert

John

Post by John » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Robert,

Unfortunately the problem only occurs on the actual (physical) iPad and I am not sure how to pull an image from it. Perhaps if I rephrase the issue it will be more clear.

As a Mac application or when running in the iPad simulator, the app has an image and some navigation controls that are common to all cards. As I navigate from card to card the background image and the navigation controls are the same on all cards because the image and controls are part of a group with background behavior selected.

After deploying on the iPad, the common image, the one in the group with background behavior, it not visible. All card images are visible. All of the images are png.

Thanks,
John

John

Post by John » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Robert,

Problem fixed. For whatever reason, when I viewed the property of the image that was causing the issue there was a path associated with it in the "source" property. This was different than the other images in the stack. I deleted the image and did an "import as control" and this time there is no path associated with it (implying it is now part of the stack file??) and it deploys correctly.

Thanks for the Nimblekit suggestion. I tried the Appcelerator / phonegap / QC Connect approach. I then tried 'rolling my own' and building Mac and IPad apps in Xcode that simply throw up a browser window and run pages from a local file. This works well enough but I don't like the hassle of all of the CSS/HTML and I found Dashcode to be to limiting or to much of a hassle. All a matter of personnel preference I suppose. It seems to me, other than the menu bar differences, that for a certain class of applications it is possible to deploy Mac desktop apps and IPad apps from one code base. LiveCode seems like a hassle free way to do this as long as the good folks at runrev pursue building for the Mac app store.

Thanks,
John

Return to “iOS Deployment”