iOS10 & LC 7

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

za_mic

iOS10 & LC 7

Post by za_mic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Experiencing an issue after updating to iOS10 on mobile application. The "ask" command only shows a message box, without any input filed as if it is a normal "answer" command.

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: iOS10 & LC 7

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi za_mic,

I confirm this is a bug in LC 7.1.4. I tested using an iPhone 6s running iOS 10. On the good news, this bug is fixed in LC 8.1.0. You can find it here:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

Best regards,
Panos
--

Scoperzor

Post by Scoperzor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Panos, I have already stated my concern previously with LC8 in other forum posts. It is not in a usable state when developing on Mac presently. You guys can't expect us to use LC8 as the solution to this, we urgently need a LC7 fix.

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Scoperzor,

We have dropped support for LC 6.x and 7.x since May 2016. If you were still using LC 6.x, I would understand your hesitance to upgrade to LC 8, since many things have changed from 6->8 because of the unicode refactoring. But since you are *already* using LC 7, upgrading to LC 8 will be a win win decision. LC 8 is *much* faster than LC 7, and has many more features and improvements. What are the issues that prevent you from using LC 8? Have you tried LC 8.1.0 ? This release includes a whole lot of bug fixes and new features.
we urgently need a LC7 fix.
Maybe you could try contacting support@livecode.com and let them know about this.

Best,
Panos
--

Scoperzor

Post by Scoperzor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:24 pm

LiveCode_Panos wrote:Hi Scoperzor,

We have dropped support for LC 6.x and 7.x since May 2016. If you were still using LC 6.x, I would understand your hesitance to upgrade to LC 8, since many things have changed from 6->8 because of the unicode refactoring. But since you are *already* using LC 7, upgrading to LC 8 will be a win win decision. LC 8 is *much* faster than LC 7, and has many more features and improvements. What are the issues that prevent you from using LC 8? Have you tried LC 8.1.0 ? This release includes a whole lot of bug fixes and new features.
we urgently need a LC7 fix.
Maybe you could try contacting support@livecode.com and let them know about this.

Best,
Panos
--
Trust me I have tried moving to LC8. I've made use of it all the way up to 8.1.0 RC2. The experience was so frustrating for me that the project I began in LC8 I ended up scrapping and migrating it back to LC7, whilst I find my productivity on projects that are required to remain in LC8 is severely lower than in LC7, as it takes much longer to perform simple tasks.

See my forum post about it here: http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27891

My primary issue is with the Project Browser, and because it is very time consuming and often impossible to manipulate and edit objects from there, it becomes difficult to manage large projects. I find the LC7 Project Browser much easier and faster to use, and I'm not sure why its quality has so severely dropped relative to LC7.

I sincerely hope it improves soon, but given that the Project Browser was said to be still under development I'm not sure what my options are. It's a high business risk at the moment to be choosing between a buggy LC7 and an unproductive LC8.

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm

From your other post:
A few of the major issues I have:
1- Clicking on an object and/or clicking show in project browser on an object does not reflect which object this actually is in the project browser, often this does nothing.
2- In LC7 when I clicked on different objects with the property window already open, it would change to the new object, and if the same type of object it - would retain the currently selected tab, now this does not happen.
3- I cannot reliably move objects or groups around the card without them getting lost in random groups I moved the mouse nowhere close to.
4- I cannot delete objects at all unless I physically go to the top toolbar.
1) Left-clicking on an object instantly creates a dashed rectangle around this object in the PB. This reflects the current selection. Right-clicking on an object and selecting "show in PB" from the contextual menu does exactly the same.

2) This seems to be fixed - tested with 8.1.0 stable
3) If you have not done it already, could you please submit a bug report about this (please include a sample stack to reproduce the problem)
4) I can delete objects successfully by right-clicking on the object and selecting "Clear", either from the PB or from the card. I can also delete objects by just pressing the Backspace key while the object is selected.

Please make sure that you report every bug you encounter at http://quality.livecode.com/ rather than on the LC Forums.

I hope this helps,
Panos
--

za_mic

Post by za_mic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:05 pm

LiveCode_Panos wrote:Hi za_mic,

I confirm this is a bug in LC 7.1.4. I tested using an iPhone 6s running iOS 10. On the good news, this bug is fixed in LC 8.1.0. You can find it here:

Best regards,
Panos
--
Thank you, will try it.

za_mic

Post by za_mic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:43 pm

After struggling for a bit with Livecode 8.1, it is working.. Thank you, however.... I've noticed that mobilecontrolcreate commands are giving issues on pre iOS 10 (eg. iOS 9), but works on iOS10.

mobileControlCreate "browser"
put the result into sBrowserId
mobileControlSet sBrowserId, "url", "linktofile"

Return to “iOS Deployment”