Discussion and support relating to Data Tree

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jrosat
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Accentuated characters. Bug ?

Post by jrosat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi All,

I created a stack containing a Data Tree with accentuated characters in labels. I use LiveCode 4.5 for Mac. Then, I opened the same stack with LiveCode 4.5 for windows and the accentuated characters are not displayed correctly.

Is it a bug ?

Jerome

worcestersource

Re: Accentuated characters. Bug ?

Post by worcestersource » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Jerome,

I think that this is more of an an issue with Rev/LiveCode running on different platforms than anything with Data Tree.

When you say that the characters are not displayed correctly, is it a case that the wrong characters are displayed?

If so, what's happening is that your Mac is using a character set that specifies these characters with certain codes. When the same tree is displayed on Windows, unfortunately, these codes refer to different characters. Have a look at http://kireji.com/reference/mac_roman.html and compare the Mac and Windows character sets.

Some ideas:
Are you able to see what your tree creation code looks like in Windows? Does the code display correctly in the editor?
What happens if you execute your code on WIndows to recreate the tree?

If none of these ideas yield any clues, I suggest that you try asking about Mac and Windows character sets elsewhere in the forums.

Best wishes,

Steve
http://www.theworcestersource.com

malte

Post by malte » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:11 pm

More ideas.

Do you use custom properties to store the data for your tree? Custom properties are treated as binary and do not translate the charsets automatically, like for example the text field does.

Hth,

Malte

jrosat

Post by jrosat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Thank you Steve and Malte,

After several tests, I note indeed that the problem of accentuated caracters occurs from the part of the tree I stored in a custom property. What I'm going to do is to set labels by script.

Thank you again for your help.

Jerome

Return to “Data Tree”