ANN: PowerDebug 2.3

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

ANN: PowerDebug 2.3

Post by mwieder » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 am

Hi-

It's been some three years since a major new release of PowerDebug, and with the 2022 LiveCode conference right around the corner, I think it's time to release PowerDebug 2.3.

NOTE: in order to get responsive speed out of this thing, it's now only backwards-compatible to LiveCode 8.0.

What's in the new build:

* Much faster, especially viewing array variable elements.
Yes... expanding big arrays in debug mode was painful before.
Faster code colorization as well.

* Faster and more robust standalone debugging.
Still works locally or in the same subnet using sockets. Debug standalone applications with two lines of code.

* Code profiling.
If you don't already have the Pro package from LC, PowerDebug will add a new menuItem to the Development menu to toggle profiling on/off. Note that profiling *will* slow down your code considerably, but PowerDebug will display execution times down to the microsecond.

* Improved error reporting, update checking, and more.

Note that the usernames and passwords have changed for the new version. The price hasn't. :shock: The url remains the same, but you'll need the new information to download the new version. And as always, your registration will never expire, so you have access to the latest versions.

Documentation is at https://powerdebug.ahsoftware.net

https://www.ahsoftware.net/PowerTools/f ... rDebug.zip

Known issues:

LiveCode on Windows still doesn't support the long milliseconds, so I'm extrapolating profiling to microseconds over multiple iterations.

I don't have an iPhone or associated Apple developer account to test with, so I can't verify that standalone debugging works on iOS. Any help testing this would be appreciated. As long as iOS supports socket communications I assume this would work, but you never know.

NOTE: I announced the new build to registered users earlier but I have several bounced messages. If you've previously registered PowerDebug but haven't gotten an email from me about it, get in touch. You won't be able to grab the new version without updated registration info.

Return to “Announcements”