[ANN] Release LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

[ANN] Release LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm

Dear LiveCoders,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your stacks before testing them.

Getting the Release
===================
You can find the release in your LiveCode account area or get it via the automatic updater. To find the dp-1 test release in your LiveCode account, please scroll down to below the list of stable releases, to find your available test releases.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1 comes with several bug fixes and some amazing new features:

- Web deployment now uses WebAssembly

The WebAssembly engine is smaller, and substantially faster than the previous asm.js version. In addition, moving to this new architecture means that the wait command now works - along with any engine functionality which internally uses wait-like functionality.

- A new "clipSnapshots" property has been added to the barcode scanner on Android

By default, if a snapshot is taken by the Android barcode scanner widget, the resulting image is clipped to the actual rect of the barcode. A new property "clipSnapshots" has been added which can be set to false to prevent this behavior, so that the resulting snapshot is the full image.

- Support for GLES3.x acceleratedRendering has been added for Android and iOS devices

An OpenGL ES 3 implementation of the accelerated rendering backend has been added. This makes it possible for future versions of LiveCode to leverage the new technology to improve accelerated rendering performance. It also enables accelerated rendering to be used with Android emulators.

- A new "bounds" option has been added to the LCB begin layer command

New syntax has been added to the Canvas library to allow specifying the drawing boundary when beginning a new layer for an effect. This should be a rectangle signifying the bounds of any drawing performed on the layer. This information allows the canvas library to limit the amount of memory allocated to the new layer by restricting the size of its backing buffer to only that area required to correctly render effects based on the given drawing bounds.

- A new "device transform" property has been added to the LCB canvas object

New syntax has been added to enable getting the current transform of a canvas.
The canvas "device transform" property returns the affine transform from logical units to backing device pixels.

- A new "is valid" operator has been added to the LCB image object

New syntax has been added to allow querying an image to determine if it contains valid data. The image "is valid" operator returns a boolean value indicating whether or not its data is valid.

For the full list of all fixes, updates and enhancements please see the release notes:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ ... 0_dp_1.pdf

Known issues
============
- Stacks may experience redraw issues on macOS when running on macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
- The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with Cinnamon window manager.
- The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS yet.

Required Software
=================
To build iOS apps with LiveCode you must have the appropriate versions of Xcode as follows:

- macOS 10.13.4: Xcode 10.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 12.1 SDK
  - macOS 10.14.4: Xcode 11.3.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 13.2 SDK
  - macOS 10.15.4: Xcode 12.4.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 14.4 SDK
  - macOS 11.x   : Xcode 12.5.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 14.5 SDK
  - macOS 12.x   : Xcode 12.5.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 14.5 SDK

There is a full list of working LiveCode/macOS/Xcode combinations here:
https://livecode.com/resources/support/ask-a-question/

Note: Whilst we endeavour to release updated versions of LiveCode supporting the latest Xcode/iOS SDKs as quickly as possible; we strongly recommend disabling automatic update of Xcode or downloading the specific version of Xcode required directly from the Apple developer portal and installing it separately.

Important: From the start of April 2021, Apple is only accepting apps built using iOS14.x SDKs. This means that, if you wish to submit apps to the AppStore you will have to be running at least macOS 10.15 in order to be able to install the necessary version of Xcode.

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our quality center at http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team
--

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: [ANN] Release LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1

Post by richmond62 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Offline activation file does not seem to work for this version.

MacOS 12.1

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Thank you, Panos.

I have a license for the HTML exporter which I've never activated, waiting until that option became more suitable for my needs.

Perhaps this is that moment, but we no longer have a Community Edition to check it out with.

How can one evaluate the fitness of the current implementation for our work before purchasing a licence?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

LG73

Post by LG73 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:04 pm

LiveCode_Panos wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Dear LiveCoders,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 10.0.0 DP-1.
I downloaded and installed this on my M1 MacBook Pro expecting to see a Universal Binary LiveCode running native on Apple Silicon. That was one of the major features mentioned in previous teasers about 10.0.0. So what happened to that?
Cheers,

Phil
LG73 - Vancouver's Hit Music Mix!
http://www.LG73.ca/

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Hi LG73,

welcome to the forum!

Well, this is the very first developer preview, give the mothership a little time. :-)
I am sure all the promised features will go into later developer versions of LC 10.0.0.

Best

Klaus

LG73

Post by LG73 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 pm

Klaus wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 pm
Hi LG73,

welcome to the forum!

Well, this is the very first developer preview, give the mothership a little time. :-)
I am sure all the promised features will go into later developer versions of LC 10.0.0.

Best

Klaus
Hi Klaus!

Thank you for the welcome!

I've been lurking around here for a dozen years. Finally time to post something in the forum.

Back on August 31st, the LiveCode blog gave us the first tease about version 10. That included this bit:

"M1 Architecture Support

LiveCode currently runs on Rosetta 2 on the new M1 Macs. This gives performance pretty similar to what you get on the Intel Macs. In LiveCode 10 we will be adding native support for the M1 architecture, which will bring both a performance boost and future proofing. We expect the native M1 LiveCode to run faster with a smaller footprint. Standalones will be built as universal binaries, ensuring they run everywhere in the future."

I was excited about that. The blog post suggested the first developer preview of 10 was a week away. Now, two and a half months later we finally get the first preview and the M1 architecture support is not there.

While LiveCode is "okay" under Rosetta 2, I've been looking forward to a much better and faster experience with it running natively on Apple Silicon. Other apps I use have had dramatic performance boosts after being upgraded to Universal Binary.

I can't see any valid reason why 10.0.0 DP1 on macOS is an Intel binary. If the plan with 10 is to have it be Universal that should be the case from the very first beta version.

Apple no longer makes laptops with Intel inside.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73 - Vancouver's Hit Music Mix!
http://www.LG73.ca/

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:54 am

Also, (not to derail the M1 chip discussion) but...
interesting, but what does that mean for the still-in-progress 9.6.5 build?

and... what ever happened to the Open Language paradigm? Has that just died on the vine? From the blog I see:
Open Language: With the core refactoring almost complete (LiveCode 7.0) we’ve started to turn our attention to the final aspect of this project which is to open up the language for extension by anyone. We have been prototyping for quite some time now and plans are in place to move this project forward at a rapid pace once LiveCode 7.0 is released. We will complete network, socket and database libraries with easy to use English like syntax as part of the development and testing of this feature. This is currently slated as one half of our next major release, currently imaginatively named “8.0”.
https://livecode.com/the-present-and-future-livecode/

...listed as "Prototype complete", and that was seven years ago.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Folks... If I could just ask for a little patience here? M1 is coming. This is dp-1. There will be many dps in the cycle before we get even to the rc stage. It doesn't make sense to hold up a dp with an important feature we want to start testing because there is another (in fact quite few other!) large and important feature also scheduled for this major release. You could certainly argue that one major feature at a time is a good way to go when adding things as big and fundamental as a new Web implementation and support for a whole new OS architecture. So please, hold your horses, we'll get there.

In regards to how long it has taken to get to dp-1 - yes. We know. Sorry about that. It turned out to be really tricky to get this new Web engine working and building successfully. As programmers, I'm sure you all know how complex projects can turn out to take a lot longer than you thought? Even more reason to get this dp out and not wait to see how long it took to get M1 working as well.

In regards to Open Language... this has no relevance at all to LiveCode 10, is not and has not been a part of its spec and I cannot comment on it any further.

In regards to 9.6.x, we will be continuing with this branch for a while yet as there is important maintenance stuff we have to add to LiveCode before LiveCode 10 is anywhere near stable. So you can expect to see more 9.6.x releases, with support for eg iOS 15.

In regards to offline licensing in 10 - we're looking at it, there does seem to be an issue. I'm sure we'll have it fixed shortly.

In regards to evaluating Web... its not yet included in the trial. We will include it soon. Please contact support and I'll see what I can do for you in the meantime Richard.

Warmest Regards to all,

Heather

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:00 pm

I have removed this message as it has been answered elsewhere, so serves no purpose here.

williamdesmet

Post by williamdesmet » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 am

Hi there,

Last year I played with the HTML5 Community version and despite the fact that some things worked OK, it was slow.
I was happy to see the LC 10 announcement with improved Web performance so yesterday I bought the Black Friday LC Web license and am already happy with the noticeable speed Web improvements. Can't wait for more to come.

Keep up the good work!

garmeister

Post by garmeister » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:07 pm

- macOS 12.x : Xcode 12.5.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 14.5 SDK
I'm currently running macOS 12.0.1(Monterey). I downloaded XCode 12.5 as suggested above. But it states that this version of Xcode is not compatible with macOS Monterey. Any suggestions other than running an older version of macOS in a VM?

Cheers,

Gary
Gary E Chike DMD
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"

Return to “Announcements”