RELEASE LiveCode 7.0

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

RELEASE LiveCode 7.0

Post by heatherlaine » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 pm

We're pleased to announce release of LiveCode 7.0. This is a stable release.

WARNING: LiveCode 7.0 contains breaking changes particularly when reading and writing data out of LiveCode or working with the char chunk type. Details can be found in the release notes which are linked below. LiveCode 6.7, which was also released today, provides a fully backward compatible new edition of LiveCode for all those users who need time to migrate their stacks to 7.0. Most people will be unaffected but please check the release notes and ask your questions on the list if you are unsure, we are very happy to help. LiveCode 7.0 has been available for most of 2014 so I expect most of you are well aware of the changes and likely already updated stacks where necessary.

Release contents
LiveCode 7.0 is a massive release for us as custodians of LiveCode and for us as a community. We've been working on it for almost 2 years and it sees us modernise the core of the engine and pave the was for LiveCode 8. We've introduced lots of new features, most notably, transparent unicode support which is a huge step forward for the technology. For more information of the changes in the release you can visit our website at: http://livecode.com/livecode-7/

Our release notes contain full details of all the changes made during this cycle as well as details of all the bugs that were fixed. The can be found here: http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ ... -7_0_0.pdf

Yosemite
During the release candidate phase we added support for Yosemite and will be working on adding wider ranging support for that platform in the coming week. Apple have tweaked how some of their pickers work which we'd like make available to your applications. We plan to do this in the form of 6.7.1 and 7.0.1 releases in the coming two weeks.

Thanks once again to you as a community. Your support in testing and bug reporting does not go unnoticed!

Warm regards,

The LiveCode Team

rinzwind

Re: RELEASE LiveCode 7.0

Post by rinzwind » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Please test the open process command.
Something like
open process Cmd for text update
and a command handler with
read from process Cmd until empty

While the handler runs the program blocks (stalled) while in previous versions this was not the case.

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bangkok » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 am

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:15 am

By the way, do we have a stack with "samples" regarding the new Unicode support ?

Something like "before / after" to display texts, set button names, menus etc.

Documentation and blog entries are very theoritical. A few "real" samples would be really helpful.

exheusden

Post by exheusden » Wed May 11, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm using LC Community 7.0.6.10035 (rc 1). If check for updates, I'm told that no new updates are available. However, the download page shows several stable later versions, the latest of which is 7.1.4 (leaving aside 8 for the moment). Should I download one of these later versions?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed May 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Hola exheusden,
exheusden wrote:I'm using LC Community 7.0.6.10035 (rc 1). If check for updates, I'm told that no new updates are available.
I never trusted or even used that meachnism! :D
exheusden wrote:However, the download page shows several stable later versions, the latest of which is 7.1.4 (leaving aside 8 for the moment). Should I download one of these later versions?
Sure, many, many bug fixes, go on, download the latest 7.1.4 stable!
But also consider to dive into LC 8! LC 6x and 7.x are EOL'd now!

Best

Klaus

Return to “Announcements”