Not clear how the versions are following

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

sphere

Not clear how the versions are following

Post by sphere » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello,

as unclear my subject is, that's how unclear it is to me how the version at Livecode are following each other.

So now 6.6.4 is brought out. I thought what the heck??
I'm working with the 7 rc2, so logically i would think 7 stable would be brought out.
But 6.6.4 is brought to light.

So please explain why working on version 7 stable is allready allmost there when still 6.x.x versions are brought out.

Which path to follow the 6 or the 7? allthough i think sooner or later it will be 7?

Thanks for any clearance on this.

Best to you all.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Not clear how the versions are following

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm

This recent post to the use-livecode list helps explain the current version lineup:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-l ... 07137.html
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

sphere

Post by sphere » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:49 pm

thanks Richard !

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:59 pm

sphere wrote:thanks Richard !
Hope that was helpful.

The work done since the Kickstarter stuff began has been almost overwhelming for everyone, the core dev team at RunRev and us in the community. Breaking out big chunks of deep work like Cocoa and Unicode into separate versions has been very beneficial for isolating the changes for better QA, but it's been dizzying for those of us who've been testing these new builds. :)

Thankfully they're now wrapping up 6.7 and 7.0 soon, so in a few weeks we can get back to the simpler sort of sequence we've seen in previous years, with just one major new version in testing.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

sphere

Post by sphere » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi, i've read thru the messages, and it clearly seems there are progresses on different levels as i understand, have to become one in the end, just like you say.
So for now i'll stick to 7 rc2, as i'm just a starter on this. And think this is the best way to go now.
But i'm allready having a lot of fun solving some issues and the help on this forum is superb.
So slowly i'm getting the hang of it, still a lot to learn.
But i must say easier and more fun and for me more logical then Ruby for instance.
I was busy with Flowstone which i love because of the graphical programming, but could not get the Ruby part to like really. Also Flowstone seems to be stuck in development and forum support. Especcialy for the audio/vst guys. Maybe there is a way to even implement a kind of support in Livecode for vst too or via an external.

I believe that for the people who have to test all the different versions it sure can be confusing and overwhelming. Thanks for all the good work !

Return to “Announcements”