Help Us Take LiveCode Open Source

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help Us Take LiveCode Open Source

Post by heatherlaine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 am

Dear forum members,

We  are hugely excited to be launching this project today:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/175 ... f-livecode

Join our campaign to make a full version of LiveCode that is free and open for everybody to use. We are doing this via a Kickstarter fundraiser, and we need your help. If we are successful, between us we can change the face of programming forever.

Open Source LiveCode means

- Free access for teachers
- Free access for students
- Free access for hobbyists and enthusiasts
- A headstart for professionals

We are aiming to bring LiveCode to hundreds of thousands of new users, removing the price barrier and making easy access programming available to everyone.

Visit our Kickstarter page to learn all about the project:

Please, if you want to see programming become the new literacy, get behind this project! Tell your friends, tell your family, tell your business associates, tell your distant acquaintances, shout it from the rooftops. Between us we can make this happen. We've got some great rewards for you too on Kickstarter, so everybody wins.

Make your pledge today and help us to take LiveCode Open Source!

Warm Regards,

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
http://www.runrev.com/
LiveCode - Unleash Your Killer App

shaosean

Re: Help Us Take LiveCode Open Source

Post by shaosean » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am

The potential new IDE looks interesting (even in just one picture)..

ale870

Post by ale870 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

Hello,

I'm an old runrev user, and now I'm so confused.
Please consider I use RunRev in the company where I work for, and this product is important for me.
I pay annual fee for enterprise edition, and now I read that livecode is going open source (great!).
But when I get details in kickstarter I read that you offer a commercial license if I donate x money!
So I'm confused. How can you sell open source product? Please consider that maybe I red wrong info (since english is not my native language).

One thing more: I payed support, so? I pay support and you give me commercial license for open source product?
Can you better explain which licensing type you will offer for open source project)? GPL 2? GPL 3? BSD? etc... again, maybe I didn't see this detail, so I'm sorry in advance if I made this mistake.

Generally speaking, I think is not a good procedure to send this announcement (like an earthquake!) to customers that pay money to get license without any additional information.

Please publish more DETAILED info for the people that send you money every year.
Furthermore, you already changed licensing type some time ago (and made a big change), now oyu changed it again.
You are becoming me mad! I cannot go to my boss everytime to tell him: << ops, sorry, but LiveCode changed licensing again! >>

THank you.

Best regards.
Runtime Revolution Widgets, tutorials, tips & tricks and more!
http://runrevwidgets.com/wiki

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Ale

the difference is explained very well here

http://runrev.com/home/ks1/?preview

basically, if you want to sell your app or distribute it outside of your company you need the commercial license. Your code will not be accessible.

If you use the open source version you have to open your source code and your app includes the complete source code. And your app will be open source also.

Kind regards

Bernd

ale870

Post by ale870 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Thank you @bn, I could not find that FAQ :-)
Runtime Revolution Widgets, tutorials, tips & tricks and more!
http://runrevwidgets.com/wiki

dvnmedia

Post by dvnmedia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

I have just upgraded from personal to commercial for desktop and iOS.

Will this announcement mean that I can produce open source apps for Linux, Android, Server and Windows Mobile at no extra cost and still create commercial apps for OSX, Windows and iOS?

The price to add additional commercial platforms is rather high considering if I'd upgraded on my personal licence before upgrading to commercial it would have only cost me £65 a platform now it's £199 a platform.

Ralph Forehand
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Ralph Forehand » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm delighted to see this development in LiveCode's evolution.

I am strictly a hobbyist (and HyperCarrd refugee) and was being forced out of utilizing LiveCode by recent RunRev pricing strategies.I also see this as a great move to encourage the LiveCode users to contribute the way the old enthusiastic HyperCard community did.

YEA to the RunRev management on this giant step forward.
"Do the right thing and everything else will take care of it's self."

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 pm

dvnmedia wrote:I have just upgraded from personal to commercial for desktop and iOS.

Will this announcement mean that I can produce open source apps for Linux, Android, Server and Windows Mobile at no extra cost and still create commercial apps for OSX, Windows and iOS?

The price to add additional commercial platforms is rather high considering if I'd upgraded on my personal licence before upgrading to commercial it would have only cost me £65 a platform now it's £199 a platform.
Hi dvnmedia,

Thank you for your request

As you currently have a commercial licence, you will be able to build closed source versions for OSX, Windows and iOS at no extra cost. You have the option of either releasing these application as closed or open source.

If you were to produce applications for Linux, Android, Server and Windows Mobile then these would be required to be open sourced

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~
LiveCode – Realize fast, compile-free coding
--

alexGAzLSp

Post by alexGAzLSp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Like others I immediately wondered about the value of the commercial licence that I already have purchased. I use LiveCode for commercial closed-source production so nothing changes.

I believe a move to a dual licencing model may be a necessity to increase the use of LiveCode, especially amongst the up and coming programmers. Otherwise it stays an interesting niche product. So I think it's a good move.

Also I think the LiveCode people also try to treat existing clients fairly within a very competitive market place of development tools. I think this move deserves our support if we want to see a much wider usage of LiveCode. Alex

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 am

This is very exciting news. I have actually refrained from doing certain projects in LiveCode because I wanted to open-source the result. Having the dual-license opens doors for some interesting uses.

Way to go!

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

It's a major and good move.

Going "open source", giving away this great tool to as much as people as possible, is the only way for LiveCode to survive, but even more to thrive.

After all this model is nothing new, and has proved its validity.

And for us, it's the certitude that other developpers will contribute, that a community will emerge with a whole ecosystem, to create a better LiveCode.

So everybody will win.

Go for it LiveCode ! And eventhough I have personnaly paid a nice amount of money to RunRev, over many years, I'm going to make a pledge on Kickstarter.

I really wish that they will succeed.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 am

Bankok, thank you so much! The support for this project is wonderful to see. We still need every penny and all the support you can give us to make our target, so spread the word! Tell everybody!

Warm Regards and thanks again

Heather

Heather Laine
Support Open Source LiveCode on Kickstarter

macnomad2

Post by macnomad2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm

It is a very good move if you manage to do it.
For example, I work with universities in developing countries and they look for systems like Livecode for internal needs, training and simple systems.
They choose open source software as a policy for financial and political reasons. It could be a good reason for them yo use LC. Already one in Benin is interested (no kidding)

Question : Will the kernel itself become open source so they can be confident into evolutions of this part.
They would also be very much interested into translation of the language (in french) as I have read on the list.

I am continuing to send this info widely.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

We will manage to do it with everyone's support!

Yes, everything will be open source including the kernel. The only part we will not be opening up is the security protection. The "open language" feature will mean translation of livecode itself into some form of french or other languages becomes a possibility.

Thank you so much for spreading the word, every single pledge helps us achieve our goal.

Regards,

Heather Laine
Support Open Source LiveCode on Kickstarter

kaveh

Post by kaveh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:55 am

Congratulations for a great decision. If Apple had opened up HyperCard it would have been the language of the web. Maybe LiveCode can be that one day. :-)

I have been wanting to come back to LiveCode for a few years now, but I don't like closed software. Now I can put my energies back and make some great software.

Thanks to all at RunRev.
Kaveh

Return to “Announcements”