LiveCode 5.5 Released

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

LiveCode 5.5 Released

Post by heatherlaine » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm

RunRev Expands LiveCode Platform with New Features for Android and iOS Development
LiveCode 5.5 Adds More Than 15 New Android Development Features Including Native Browser Controls, Push Notifications, and GPS to Cross-Platform Development Environment

EDINBURGH, UK – March 21, 2012 – RunRev Ltd today announced a significant update to the LiveCode cross-platform development environment for mobile, web and desktop applications, with new features for Android and iOS developers and major enhancements to the field objects across all platforms. LiveCode 5.5 adds more than 15 new features that will punch up Android development, including native browser control, text field enhancements, push notifications and GPS. iOS developers also benefit from text messaging, push notifications and six other new features. LiveCode pricing begins at $99 for a single seat license and is available online today. View a video showing the new features:

http://www.runrev.com/products/livecode/livecode-55/

LiveCode 5.5 is a huge step forward for Android developers, making cross-platform deployment of rich mobile apps easier that ever. Coming off the successful LiveCode Game Academy for learning mobile game development, RunRev expects the new release to appeal to thousands of new and seasoned Android and iOS developers looking to expand their work into game, educational and small business app creation. RunRev will introduce its next LiveCode Academy in April, focusing on small business app development.

LiveCode 5.5 brings a major rework of the field objects across all platforms, with users able to create sophisticated text layouts, while paragraph styles allow users to control formatting on a per paragraph basis. The new release also adds powerful new options for accessing and formatting text, a scriptable spelling underline, hierarchical lists, the ability to embed tables, and many more improvements to text and field handling.

LiveCode 5.5 Mobile Features
Following are some of the most significant new features of LiveCode 5.5:

• Native browser control
• Push notifications
• GPS
• Compass
• Gyroscope
• Modal pick wheel support
• Date picker support
• Multi-channel sound
• Busy indicators
• Local notifications
• Custom URL schemes
• Vibrate
• Beep
• Text messaging

“With the new version we’ve focused on field formatting options and mobile features, prioritizing our updates based on direct input from customers, “said RunRev CEO Kevin Miller. “This update is a massive step forward for Android developers and also includes a number of iOS features to create more engaging and dynamic apps. Our goal with LiveCode is always to provide a robust, refined feature set while staying true to the fast, easy-to-use platform that our customers expect.”

LiveCode was uniquely designed to give software and mobile app developers the easiest way to create applications for any platform or purpose, with the ability to write apps once and deploy to seven popular platforms—iOS, Android, Web, PC, Mac, Linux and Server. LiveCode customers range from educators that use the platform to teach their students how to program, to small businesses that create and sell software, to individuals looking to build the next big mobile app or game. LiveCode developers are creating cross-platform applications twice as fast as other platforms from a single code base.

About RunRev Ltd.
RunRev makes the LiveCode cross-platform development environment for building sophisticated mobile, Web, desktop and server applications. The company aims to open doors with technology by empowering people to create apps through an intuitive and easy-to-learn programming language. The LiveCode English-like language and focus on instant results appeals to a wide range of users, from individuals and educators to corporate and enterprise developers. Considered a modern descendent of HyperCard, LiveCode offers a robust yet flexible path to cross-platform app creation. For more information, please visit http://www.runrev.com.
# # #

DominiqueB

Re: LiveCode 5.5 Released

Post by DominiqueB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Thank's for this news.

What about existing customers, i can't update ?

Thank's

Dominique Bodin

Having actualy 5.02
Dominique

deebee
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by deebee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 am

New paragraphs look useful but was "full justify" excluded?

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am

Is there going to be a GM3 release? As for IOS at least you can't choose a distribution profile or high resolution icon or splash for the new iPad with GM2.

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:24 am

Look at the built number in "about Livecode"
it should say 1479 as for the current release (GM3), just redownload Livecode 5.5 from your account and install it over the existing version. (It will ask)
It is supposed to take care of the distribution profile problem.

Kind regards

Bernd

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 am

GM3 works like a charm, both my problems fixed. Phew, can submit my app now. Thanks for the update RunRev!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm

deebee wrote:New paragraphs look useful but was "full justify" excluded?
I don't believe full justification was included in this release. It may be in the future, but given its limited usefulness outside of certain types of printed output it may be a while before it's added.

It would be nice to have, though, for those cases where you're printing narrow multiple columns.

If you're a member of the dev program you can add your votes to that request here:
http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4714
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Yann

Post by Yann » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 pm

I am about to release a new product (a Mac/PC technical dictionary with around 16 000 entries) that makes use of the new field features rather than revBrowser, which has way too many issues in Windows. I agree that full justified text is highly needed for clean text presentation. This and standard html tables.

BTW, Real Studio now offers a WebKit option for its Windows htmlView control, and I think it would be a good evolution for LiveCode revBrowser too - rather than relying on Internet Explorer.

edgore

Post by edgore » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 pm

I notice that the server is still at version 5.02. Is there going to be an update for sever anytime in the near future? I ask because my current work flow is to develop everything that I can in the IDE, the copy out scripts into .lc files for use on the server and I am getting some differences in behavior between the IDE and server and debugging on the server is a, well, let's say a hassle. I would share some examples but since my applications all deal with querying internal data sources they don't work out in the real world. Essentially I am seeing things like stray characters in strings showing up in shell results and database queries that do not appear in the IDE, even though everything is running on the same machine, using the same shell utilities and ODBC data sources.

Return to “Announcements”