[ANN] bnGuides alignment tool on livecodeshare

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: [ANN] bnGuides alignment tool on livecodeshare

Post by bn » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 am

PaulDaMacMan wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 am
So I'm playing around doing some page-layout-ish stuff, and decided to try your plug-in for a while. This stack has objects with some graphics effects and objects with transparency and such applied, when I have the bnGuides plug in running it's grabbing my size and position locked group (a background placed on multiple cards) along with the foreground object that I'm moving, even if the foreground object isn't transparent (does this with a plain field), it only does that while bnGuides is open. It could be a conflict with some other plug-ins I have installed, I'll try to make some time later to do further testing.
I would be interested in a sample stack that shows the problem.

Kind regards
Bernd

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:45 am

bn wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 am
PaulDaMacMan wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 am
So I'm playing around doing some page-layout-ish stuff, and decided to try your plug-in for a while. This stack has objects with some graphics effects and objects with transparency and such applied, when I have the bnGuides plug in running it's grabbing my size and position locked group (a background placed on multiple cards) along with the foreground object that I'm moving, even if the foreground object isn't transparent (does this with a plain field), it only does that while bnGuides is open. It could be a conflict with some other plug-ins I have installed, I'll try to make some time later to do further testing.
I would be interested in a sample stack that shows the problem.

Kind regards
Bernd
OK, I'll email it to you later. I tested it with a clean copy of LCC 9.6.3 on a different machine / macOS version and had the same problem.
I then removed it and tried the Ferris Logic guy's DevGuides which does pretty much the same thing but comes as an Extension as opposed to a plugIn and it didn't have the problem, so you might want to look at their code to see what they did differently.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

bn

Post by bn » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 am

Paul has sent me the stack that causes trouble and it turns out it was caused by bnGuides not handling objects correctly that had a lockLoc set to true.

This is a revised version and I would be grateful if someone could test it before I put the new version (0.5.4) up in Livecodeshare/Sample Stacks.

Kind regards
Bernd
Attachments
bnGuides_0_5_4.livecode.zip
(31.66 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:00 am

Seems to behave properly with respect to locked objects.
But some interesting characteristics:

Selecting bnGuides from the Development|Plugins menu temporarily disables the effect until you click in some other stack (not the topstack). I originally thought this was a way to disable the effect, but it seems related to your revSelectedObject handler in some way that I haven't yet wrapped my head around.

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. Once it's in memory it's there to stay. I changed the plugin setting from 'load at startup' to 'when selected' but still once I enabled it, it stayed enabled.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:22 am

Hi Mark,
There doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. Once it's in memory it's there to stay. I changed the plugin setting from 'load at startup' to 'when selected' but still once I enabled it, it stayed enabled.
if you set the plug-in settings of bnGuides to
Chosen from Plugins menu
Palette

Then you make bnGuides active and the bnGuides are not visible.
But bnGuides are listed in the "Window" menu of the IDE.
If you choose that then bnGuides are visible and you can close bnGuides by the close decoration.
To open bnGuides again choose it from Development -> Plugins menu

Selecting bnGuides from the Development|Plugins menu temporarily disables the effect until you click in some other stack (not the topstack). I originally thought this was a way to disable the effect, but it seems related to your revSelectedObject handler in some way that I haven't yet wrapped my head around.
If I understand you correctly then I could not reproduce the "bnGuides not working without selecting another stack first and returning to the stack to be edited" issue.

Kind regards
Bernd

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 am

If you choose that then bnGuides are visible and you can close bnGuides by the close decoration.
Well, yes, but
To open bnGuides again choose it from Development -> Plugins menu
I think as a suggestion it might be more useful to have selecting from the Development menu remove the plugin if it's already in memory.
If I understand you correctly then I could not reproduce the "bnGuides not working without selecting another stack first and returning to the stack to be edited" issue.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Here's the recipe:

Ensure that bnGuides is working by manipulating an object
From the Development|Plugins menu, select bnGuides
Try moving the object again
Notice that bnGuides guides are not showing
Now click on e.g. the tools palette
Click back on the test stack and see the guides again.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:27 am

Here's the recipe:

Ensure that bnGuides is working by manipulating an object
From the Development|Plugins menu, select bnGuides
Try moving the object again
Notice that bnGuides guides are not showing
Now click on e.g. the tools palette
Click back on the test stack and see the guides again.
I still can not reproduce the problem.
I think as a suggestion it might be more useful to have selecting from the Development menu remove the plugin if it's already in memory.
As a way to toggle bnGuides I 1. don't know yet how to do that and 2. I do not think it is very intuitive.
For me choosing from the Plugins menu is to activate a plug-in. It is not obvious that choosing again would unmount the plug-in.

Return to “Announcements”