[ANN] bnGuides alignment tool on livecodeshare

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: [ANN] bnGuides alignment tool on livecodeshare

Post by bn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 pm

to all,

there are currently 22 downloads of version bnGuides 0.5.2. (above)
It fixes alignment guides with nested groups when coming back from "Edit Group" via "Stop Editing"

Could anyone please give some feedback. Otherwise I am going to upload that version to Livecodeshare/Sample Stacks assuming the problem is solved.

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards
Bernd

stam

Post by stam » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi Bernd,
sorry i meant to post back but the dramatic changes in LiveCode Ltd distracted me...

I can confirm that the previously noted issues with groups have been resolved; i've not been able to reproduce the issue with the latest version.

Thanks once again for providing this,
Stam

PS: Glad to see you survived nested behaviour land!

PPS: Having evaluated devguides i've come to appreciate this just working without having to activate it and more importantly not having part of my valuable screen real estate taken up with yet another window, no matter how small. Would you consider adding options to behave like this?

bn

Post by bn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:26 am

Hi Stam,

thank you for testing bnGuides. Glad it works for you.
PPS: Having evaluated devguides i've come to appreciate this just working without having to activate it and more importantly not having part of my valuable screen real estate taken up with yet another window, no matter how small. Would you consider adding options to behave like this?
You can configure a plug-in to do that.

Plugin Settings.png

Go to menu "Development->Plugins->Plugin Settings" make sure "bnGuides" is selected and choose "Open Plugin when Livecode starts up" and I would not recommend "invisible" because one tends to forget that the plugin is running but rather choose "Modeless dialog box"

That way bnGuides will start when Livecode starts and you could make it disappear by clicking the "minimize" decoration (the yellow thing in the image) to make it go away.

Please remember if anything goes wrong in Livecode: plugins are the top suspect...

Kind regards
Bernd

stam

Post by stam » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:39 am

Thanks Bernd,
While i take your point about visibility and plugins being common cause of issues, the reality is that your stack has no user interface and modeless or not, there is no point in wasting screen real estate. And your plugin is well tested - the issue you recently corrected was the only one i came across.
So while i could hide it, it serves little purpose having to to do so, so i'll have it launch hidden on startup - thank you for pointing that out.

bn

Post by bn » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm

I have now updated bnGuides on "Sample Stacks"/"Livecode Share" to version 0.5.2 which fixes the bug when stopping Group Editing.
It is the same stack I uploaded in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31920&sid=b573f9d56 ... 15#p208653

Edit: here the link to livecode share
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/918/BnGuides

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:55 pm

bn wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm
I have now updated bnGuides on "Sample Stacks"/"Livecode Share" to version 0.5.2 which fixes the bug when stopping Group Editing.
It is the same stack I uploaded in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31920&sid=b573f9d56 ... 15#p208653

Edit: here the link to livecode share
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/918/BnGuides
Nice work Bernd! Guides make editing GUI feel a bit more like a page layout program.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

bn

Post by bn » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 pm

Nice work Bernd! Guides make editing GUI feel a bit more like a page layout program.
Thanks Paul

Kind regards
Bernd

stam

Post by stam » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 am

bn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:26 am
Go to menu "Development->Plugins->Plugin Settings" make sure "bnGuides" is selected and choose "Open Plugin when Livecode starts up" and I would not recommend "invisible" because one tends to forget that the plugin is running but rather choose "Modeless dialog box"

That way bnGuides will start when Livecode starts and you could make it disappear by clicking the "minimize" decoration (the yellow thing in the image) to make it go away.
Dear Bernd,
I wanted to give bnGuides a proper go again as may have been running into some conflicts with devguides (possibly).
Specifically i have an odd situation where i control a group via a separate palette and whenever i try to modify said group from the palette, devguides appear on the toplevel stack and everything stagnates.

So I thought i'd deactivate devGuides completely and use bnGuides, but as previously mentioned, i really don't like losing screen real estate for a plugin without a GUI, so i followed your advice to have bnGuides launch at start up, either as modeless dialog box or as invisible. Unfortunately this doesn't work. Changing these settings doesn't 'stick'; they just reset to 'open from menu' and 'palette' respectively.

I should point out this doesn't affect other plugins like GoLiveNet, where these settings do 'stick'.

I can only assume it's something with your plugin that stops these settings from 'sticking' (which doesn't occur with other plugins). I couldn't see why after a cursory glance at the code but wondered if you have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Stam

bn

Post by bn » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Stam,

followed your advice to have bnGuides launch at start up, either as modeless dialog box or as invisible. Unfortunately this doesn't work. Changing these settings doesn't 'stick'; they just reset to 'open from menu' and 'palette' respectively.
Unfortunately I can not reproduce the "non-sticking" of settings for the bnGuides plug-in. I tried a couple of times but the settings "stick" i.e. the bnGuides plugin starts and is hidden and works as expected.

Here again my settings:
settings to hide guides plug-in.png
I am a bit at a loss.

Kind regards
Bernd

stam

Post by stam » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Yeh i know the settings - it's weird because i set them, and if i open the plugin preferences again they reset; if i set them and restart LC, they reset to 'chose from menu' an 'palette' options.
I tested with other addons, no such issue. Not sure i can explain it in any way...
Also had an instance where bnGuides wiped the existing behaviour scripts from groups, but this doesn't seem reproducible - will keep an eye on that.

Maybe it's just some kind of corruption in my bnGuides stack, will download a fresh copy...

bn

Post by bn » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:49 pm

stam wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:41 pm
Also had an instance where bnGuides wiped the existing behaviour scripts from groups, but this doesn't seem reproducible - will keep an eye on that.
bnGuides makes elaborate checks to NOT interfere with an existing behavior or stacked behaviors. That was something I was always afraid of. I have not seen it wiping out an existing behavior but who knows. Yes, please keep an eye on that.

Kind regards
Bernd

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Stam-

There was a bug a few versions ago (I misremember where/when) that prevented this change from sticking.
Look at the custom preferences of the bnGuides stack and see what the cRevLoadInfo[load] is set to.
You can change it manually if it's not sticking.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 am

I somehow had a weird version 0.5.2 so I downloaded the most recent from LiveCodeShare.
And it too started immediately when the IDE launched.
I fixed it thusly (LC 9.6.5-rc1):

opened the Plugin Setting panel from the Development | Plugins menu
selected bnGuides from the menu
changed the setting from "LiveCode starts up" to "Chosen from Plugins menu"
quit and relaunch the IDE
No problem with the preference sticking.

I do note that the file I downloaded today is named BnGuides.rev rather than the previous bnGuides_0_5_2.livecode

stam

Post by stam » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am

mwieder wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 am
I do note that the file I downloaded today is named BnGuides.rev rather than the previous bnGuides_0_5_2.livecode
Thanks @mwieder - i can also confirm that downloading the new version of liveCodeShare does indeed fix the plugin settings issue. May have been something funky with the previous stack i was using.

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 am

bn wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 pm
Thanks Paul

Kind regards
Bernd
So I'm playing around doing some page-layout-ish stuff, and decided to try your plug-in for a while. This stack has objects with some graphics effects and objects with transparency and such applied, when I have the bnGuides plug in running it's grabbing my size and position locked group (a background placed on multiple cards) along with the foreground object that I'm moving, even if the foreground object isn't transparent (does this with a plain field), it only does that while bnGuides is open. It could be a conflict with some other plug-ins I have installed, I'll try to make some time later to do further testing.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Announcements”