Is LC a good choice to write a web based accounting package?

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is LC a good choice to write a web based accounting pack

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

dave.kilroy wrote:@Richard do you (or anyone?) have any information on the encryption used in password protecting a stack? Yesterday I had to write a 'security statement' on how a LiveCode project I'm working on saved data to mobile devices, I was able to talk about the built-in encrypt() command and AES-256 (which I'm using to encrypt and decrypt locally saved data), but I couldn't find anything describing the protection used when password protecting a stack. I'm sure LiveCode don't want to have details of how they password protect stacks common knowledge, but is there an official company statement describing the process even in a vague way that I could reference?
I don't. In very old versions it was a DES variant, but several years ago upgraded to something stronger. You may need to write the company for specifics.

That said, executable code is usually consider less important than user data. The algorithms of all applications can be disassembled from memory, but for user data LiveCode's encrypt/decrypt command support many current strong options.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

@Richard - thanks, yep I might need to write to them in the near future to see if they'll provide a statement I can use ... I haven't been asked for further information on my 'security statement' yet, but I could well get a request!
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm

dave.kilroy wrote:@Richard - thanks, yep I might need to write to them in the near future to see if they'll provide a statement I can use ... I haven't been asked for further information on my 'security statement' yet, but I could well get a request!
If you do get a request for more info it would be interesting to learn more about their expectations for the security of executable code.

With even the older DES-based encryption LC is arguably more secure than just about any other app.

Most scripting languages offer no script encryption at all, and while PHP is limited to the server any JavaScript sent to the browser is fully readable.

Most apps compiled to object code are just that, raw executables, making their instructions disassemblable.

The LC engine embedded with a standalone is akin to any other executable, which of course is necessary so the OS can find the entry point and load the code modules. It's only the scripts that are encrypted, and compared to nearly any other scripting language having any encryption for them at all puts them in a very rare category.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

I think LiveCode is a good solution if you want to keep:
1) In control of the complete environment.
2) Keep the costs down.
3) Have a development environment with good community support.
4) A fairly easy to develop in environment.

A total other approach could e.g. be the OutSystems development environment.
This is a very nice application development environment but it is a total different way to go https://www.outsystems.com/:
1) Pretty expensive if you go past the free version which you probably need to in the near future (in my case much to expensive https://www.outsystems.com/pricing-and-editions/
2) The environment is not in your control.
3) I do not know who will be owner of the 'code' in case you want to sell your software to an other company and retire the Bill Gates way :mrgreen: ?
4) Very nice development environment but you need to get used to the total different way of developing (I have tested it).
5) Supports multiple platforms including mobile apps with QR barcode scanning plugin on mobile devices and other excellent needed for business applications features. http://now.outsystems.com/OutSystemsNow ... rcode.aspx.

Regards,

Paul

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”