Moving a CRM project from FileMaker to LC?

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Moving a CRM project from FileMaker to LC?

Post by jacque » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm

bangkok wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:21 am
)
Personally, I use the launcher method.... but with a local file.

It's only when there is an update available (I use a MySQL table for that, in which I store a simple version number that will be compared to the version number in the stack on the user's PC), that the launcher will fetch the updated stack (from a FTP server, on the local network) and then write it into the directory, on the user's PC.

Rince, repeat.

Very efficient.

Only one big regret : impossible to do that... on Android !

That sucks a lot. Each time the user has to desinstall and reinstall the new apk file... Boring.

If LC could work on this, it would be great.
I use the launcher method in Android all the time. There is no problem downloading an updated stack. If you mean updating the launcher app, then you need to change the build number in the new apk. That way an installation will replace the old version and retain all user data. If you don't change the build number then the user does need to uninstall first and all user data will be lost.

Android uses the build number to determine whether a download is an update.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:52 pm

jacque wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 pm
I use the launcher method in Android all the time. There is no problem downloading an updated stack. If you mean updating the launcher app, then you need to change the build number in the new apk. That way an installation will replace the old version and retain all user data. If you don't change the build number then the user does need to uninstall first and all user data will be lost.

Android uses the build number to determine whether a download is an update.
Damned. I feel like a fool ! :shock:

I always thought that Android couldn't handle "stack" format.

Could you give me the command in LC that writes the downloaded stack onto the android system file, please ?

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 am

The launcher app handles stack files, Android doesn't notice the file format, so on Android the splash stack method works just like it does on desktop. You can download the stack from the server or open it from disk and the launcher can work with it.

The build number is only for the apk. If you build a new launcher apk then you should update its build number so Android won't require you to delete the old one first.

I think LC calls the build number "version number" or similar, I'm not at my Mac to look right now. It's located in Android standalone settings next to the app version string.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Edit: Maybe you mean, how to write the file to disk? That's the same as desktop too.

Code: Select all

put specialfolderpath("documents") & "/stack.livecode" into tPath
put url ("http://www.domain.com/file") into url ("binfile:" & tPath) 

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:19 am

jacque wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 am
The launcher app handles stack files, Android doesn't notice the file format, so on Android the splash stack method works just like it does on desktop. You can download the stack from the server or open it from disk and the launcher can work with it.
Great. Thank you Jacqueline. It works perfectly.
;-)
I had some issue to use a FTP server to download the stack but using a regular HTTP server, it's fine.
I will to dig into tsNet to use FTP.

Anyway. Thank for the tip... I lost several months with this stupid idea that the launcher scheme couldn't work on Android.
:D

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:57 am

Glad it's working, and you aren't stupid. You should see me fighting with iOS right now.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:12 pm

stoltenberg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:11 pm
Wow, that was quick and extremely informative. I can see that I'm not alone. FileMaker has long annoyed their very loyal users,
but the runtime-decision will now jeopardize one or the other business model and existence - the FileMaker forum is full of it.

Your answer is not only very helpful, but also motivating for me. I don't know if I can close all the gaps in knowledge, but in any case
I really want to get to know SQl better. Last but not least, this knowledge can also be used again and again outside of LC, too.

A thousand thanks, you gives me courage :-)
Hi @stoltenberg,
i was just scouring older posts and was wonder if you had any success or hindrance using LC for this.

A quick look on https://www.alfonsapp.de/index_en.html suggests this is still being released as an FMPA15 standalone app.

Looks like an eminently feasible app in LC - did you have any success with this?

Stam

stoltenberg

Post by stoltenberg » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi Stam

and thank You for asking. Unfortunately it's true, »alfons« is (and will be for a while) a FileMaker 18 runtime. Due to corona and other reasons, i had to concentrate 100% to another project last year. For the coming year i'm indeed considering implementing alfons or rather a new, different concept with LC.

Best regards!
Jan
stam wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:12 pm
Hi @stoltenberg,
i was just scouring older posts and was wonder if you had any success or hindrance using LC for this.

A quick look on https://www.alfonsapp.de/index_en.html suggests this is still being released as an FMPA15 standalone app.

Looks like an eminently feasible app in LC - did you have any success with this?

Stam

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”