Are shareware publishing tools useful/necessary with Rev?

Share your experiences and ideas on how to market your LiveCode made products.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

Clarkey

Are shareware publishing tools useful/necessary with Rev?

Post by Clarkey » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi folks,
I've not really thought ahead too much about the mechanics of publishing my project to the market yet but today's MacZot offer for SharewarePublisher http://www.maczot.com/ got me thinking about something else to put on my todo list (and how to consider 'publish-ability' when designing and developing). And if such a tool is needed and appropriate, a 40% discount is always nice to have. :D

Is this kind of tool useful for managing cross-platform developments - are there better alternatives around (when developing on the Mac platform). Any thoughts, pro or contra?
Best,
Keith..

PS I hope this post doesn't contravene any forum regulations :?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Are shareware publishing tools useful/necessary with Rev?

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:14 pm

The majority of download sites are junk. They may have good intentions, but you'll notice that the smaller the site is the more insistent they are that you provide reciprocal links. That's because they make their money on advertising, so they need to boost their PageRank. Nothing wrong with making money, but if you spend a lot of time submitting to hundreds of obscure download sites you'll see little return for the effort.

Download.com, MacUpdate, and VersionTracker are IMO the best to work with. If you offer a Mac version, a listing in Apple's Mac software pages is also very useful. Tucows gets a fair bit of traffic, but not nearly as much as VersionTracker, and their policies are very unusual and I found them hard to work with to keep my listings current. As for the rest, I don't spend a lot of time with them, investing instead in other forms of marketing. There are only so many hours in a day, and far too many downloads sites.

If you feel it may be worthwhile to post to a few, get a PAD generator so that at least your submissions won't take up too much time.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Clarkey

Re: Are shareware publishing tools useful/necessary with Rev?

Post by Clarkey » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the response and sound advice. As a user, I only tend to use VersionTracker and MacUpdate and a couple of others, less often. So, there are probably only a handful of sites that I'd aim for if I were do go the shareware route. Consequently, I'm not sure how much value any publishing automation utility would add.

This tool has a PAD generator amongst a feature list (most of which I don't understand!) but there also seem to be quite a few PAD generators around. I use other Ergonis software daily, so I'd be willing to give it a trial if I were ready to publish now. However, for now, maybe this solves a problem that I currently only aspire to having - some time in the dim and distant future! :D
Best,
Keith..

Return to “Marketing Your Products”