DBLib

Share your experiences and ideas on how to market your LiveCode made products.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

Kelvin Chua

DBLib

Post by Kelvin Chua » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi Gurus,

I am a newbie to LiveCode.

I purchased the DBLib.

Have some queries, so I went to its forum to register myself so that I can post my queries. My account was never activated.

I wrote to the owner, and my email was never replied.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE
Last edited by Kelvin Chua on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: DBLib

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:35 am

I couldn't find a product called "DBLib" at livecode.com. What was the name of the product, and have you double-checked your email account's spam bin to see if perhaps it trapped the developer's reply?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Kelvin Chua

Post by Kelvin Chua » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 am

Hi FourthWorld,

I bought it from http://andregarzia.com/pages/en/dblib/

I posted simply to warn others against such irresponsible vendor.

From beginning I was having very good impression on LiveCode, thinking that it is under a group of serious developers.

This particular vendor scared me.

I know he is not related nor recommended by LiveCode. But when I searched for LiveCode components it is there in the search engine.

I know it was my mistake to purchase from him.

He has a refund policy of 30 days, but... I can't even get a response from him.

Thanks again.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 am

Hi Kelvin,
Andre is probably also at the conference.
He's a good guy and will take care of you.

Sorry you purchased 2 products while both developers are away.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Kelvin Chua

Post by Kelvin Chua » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 am

Hi Simon,

Thanks for responding.

I purchased on 21 Aug 2014.

Date: 2014-08-21
Order ID: 0002803923

Well... will wait for his response.

Even if he don't respond, I will leave him alone and move on from here.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 am

I've known Andre for more than a decade. He's been a key contributor in this community and others for a great many years.

He's normally quite current with his email, but he's been immersed making a new OS with the Firefox team, so perhaps he's been head-down a little longer than usual.

I'll drop him a note on your behalf and see if we can raise him....
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Kelvin Chua

Post by Kelvin Chua » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.

I really appreciate everyone's response.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

skiplondon

Post by skiplondon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 am

I just saw this and wanted to chime in. I also have DBLib and not only is it a great product, Andre goes above and beyond the call of duty to help people. I am sure that there is a simple explanation for the mixup here.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about DBLib, please post it here and I will be glad to try to help you.

SKIP KIMPEL
Skip Kimpel - Magicgate Software

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Kelvin

Sorry you've been having hassle...

But like Skip said, not only is dbLIB a solid product but Andre himself is a good guy - if he hasn't got back to you yet it is for a good reason - in the meantime please do post here or contact Skip, me or other users of dbLIB with DETAILS of what you need help with

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

SoapDog

Post by SoapDog » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Dear All,

First thanks Richard for pointing me to this thread. I am receiving close to 2000 emails per day, my mail life is a chaotic clockwork of filters and automated processes so excuse me if I haven't seen your email.

Kelvin, I've refunded your purchase today, I should be able to see the money in your balance right now. I don't want customers who are not happy with the product, even though I think it is a great product.

My forums have been plagued by SPAM users. Every time I install some counter measure they circumvent it. I think its due to the forum package I am using which is really popular so there are lots of people looking to exploit it. I will shutdown my forums and answer stuff on this forum. I can't spend the time managing a forum installation.

Another important thing. Kelvin, you don't know me or what I do, in the future refrain to pass judgement on people you don't know. I've never scammed you. I sell products which work for many people. I've just search for your email and was on the spam box (wrong match obviously). The problem you're having its a simple misunderstanding of how LiveCode works. Its not related to my library. You need to move the SQLite file to a writable folder before you can work with it.

I don't like your tone. I don't like being called out like you did on a pubic indexable forum. Also, you claim my product doesn't work which it does, the fact that you don't know enough LiveCode to make it work is not my fault and yes I will solve this gap by providing better documentation for new developers since I don't want to be spoken like that.

I have an advise for you and I hope you follow:

- Do the LiveCode academy courses.
- Read the LiveCode user guide.
- Buy the current LiveCode books and read them.

This will get you up to speed on how it works. LiveCode is so easy that we can all start building useful stuff very quickly but to do stuff in mobile you need to have more background.
http://www.andregarzia.com

Kelvin Chua

RESOLVED - DBLib

Post by Kelvin Chua » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi SoapDog,

If I have offended you, my apology, sincerely.

Have been earning my living with software development for the past 30 years.

This is the first time that I purchase a third party library with zero support and response, and long wait of 18 days to be reprimanded. Personally, I think it is ludicrous.

I bear no grudge. Please kindly understand the fact that there is no way for me to know that you are receiving 2000 emails each day and may need more than 7 hours reading it. My doubts only poured in after I realized that the last posting at the forum was 10 months ago.

Business is business, my company internal issues are my issues, I will not vent on my customers.

This forum is a helpful and industrious one. Everyone has been helpful.

Please consider case closed, forgive and forget, it is affinity that bring people together.

Let's learn from each other.

Thanks again.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Frankly, I see silver linings in LiveCode. I am greatly impressed by this forum!

SoapDog

Post by SoapDog » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm

This is the first time that I purchase a third party library with zero support and response, and long wait of 18 days to be reprimanded. Personally, I think it is ludicrous.
Business is business, my company internal issues are my issues, I will not vent on my customers.
You call me out on a public forum where I have been active for the past 10 years and you don't think I will get a bit upset? You send me a single email, which goes to spam and its my fault somehow? Heck I ship a GPL version of the said library so that people may test the damn thing and see if they want it. You only need to become my customer by the time you're about to ship closed source software, if you're not shipping closed source software then you get a free run to test things for free. I also ship all the source code for the tools so that you can be proactive and learn from it and even patch it for your own needs. There are manuals, screencasts, sample stacks. I try to answer everybody.

During the past 18 days I've been traveling with Mozilla and released a new book. It has been a bit busy so I am yet to play catch up. I am not shipping LC libraries as a business, I am shipping them because they are needed.

You called me once and you now questioned my business practices. Really???

You had a misunderstanding of how LC worked which is fine we all do from time to time. You sent me an email which I missed asking how to solve that even though it was not my or my tools fault. You got angry because I had not replied to you regarding something that was not my problem from the beginning. You called me out on a public forum venting your opinions. I replied to you on the forum, refunded you, pointed you to good resources to make your learning process better and yet you send another comment about my business practices???

Let me be blunt for a bit like I have never been in the past ten years: I don't fucking care what you think is ludicrous.

That being said I've learned long time ago that the best way out of a bad situation is to make it a good situation so in the spirit of cooperation and peace between mankind let me ask some questions and make you a proposal:

Question 1 - what type of platform do you want to ship software? Mobile? Desktop? Which OS?
Question 2 - what type of database needs you have?

After you answer these questions, I will prepare a video walkthrough from launching LC to creating a sample app with those needs filled in.

I wish you can ship software for the next 30 years.
http://www.andregarzia.com

Kelvin Chua

Post by Kelvin Chua » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi SoapDog,

Thanks for your details, hope you feel better now. <G>

>> Question 1 - what type of platform do you want to ship software? Mobile? Desktop? Which OS?
I wrote my accounting system in another language and PostgreSQL 9.35. It is running on a CENTOS 6.5, serving 65 Window clients. My system will autoplan the logistics base on past consumption of the product, and auto-generate the Delivery Order each day. Not a big company, they only generate 800 - 1000 Delivery Orders each day. These Delivery Orders are exported to 60 SAMSUNG GALAXY 7" in sqlite database. Their customers endorse the Delivery Orders with their signatures capture in BASE64 (their signature in PNG format).

When the deliveries came back from deliveries, all the data from sqlite were pull back into our accounting system. The generated Delivery Order with signature in PDF format are inserted into their PostgreSQL database BLOB for reference and processing. All Delivery Orders PDF generated are also emailed to the respective customers automatically by our system.

Fortnightly, our accounting system will pull the Delivery Orders generating them into Customer Invoices. These approximately 10000 invoices each time will be printed to 3 CANON laser printers (usually takes about 3 hours). One of the staffs will then collect all these Customers Invoices and insert them into the automatic collating machine, which separates the Invoices; placing the different pages of the same invoice into an envelope and seal it up (basing on codes I printed at the sides of the Invoices). These envelopes are usually collected in black plastic bags which is then delivered to the nearest Post Office for postage processing and sending them to customers.

At the end of month, our system will check to the deliveries to determine if the customers fulfill the minimum order as per Sales Contract signed. Else, a Debit Note for the shortfall will be automatically billed and send to the laser printer (usually 1000 - 1200 Debit Notes generated). It is then processed like the Customer Invoices.

At the end of month, our system will automatically generates the Statement of Accounts and emailed them to all the customers.

Another system is written to serve XML. It is located within the CENTOS 6.5 server. It is run on a couple of Windows 7 as a service. Salesman who are running the sales will access the Sales Agreements (old ones) and create their new Sales Agreements through their SAMSUNG 10", accessing the web service from their SAMSUNG devices.

Each and everyday, our accounting system will evaluate the Sales Agreement for expiry processing. Notices are emailed to customers automatically 3 months before expiry. If the customers never terminate the contract, new Sales Agreements (renewal) are created. Auto planning of the deliveries continues...

Another part of our accounting system serves as the CRM, recording conversations between the customers and the company's Customer Service Officers, providing them all the required histories and information on a "Dash Board".

Another part of our accounting system will serve the debt collection department, furnishing them with Customer Ageing and payment details, so that they can chase for payments...

>>>Question 2 - what type of database needs you have?
The databases are Postgresql 9.35 (upgrading to 9.4 soon) and sqlite.

Our system had been running for past 2 Financial Years, and this is the 3rd year they are running.

The original android app on the devices are written in JAVA. I feel that there must be some better way to get it done; must be easy to get new programmers to create and maintain the system. So while ridding on our JAVA written system, I looked at ALTOVA "MobileTogether", Scriptcase 8.0, C++Builder - Embarcadero Technologies XE 6, Basic4Android and many others...

Of many of the software I looked, LiveCode is one of them. I am simply going through to ensure that all the needed functions are possible and that it is scalable.

I am still testing...

>>>I wish you can ship software for the next 30 years.
I hope I can stay alive for another 30 years <VBG>. You are young, the most I "guesstimate" should be approximately 33 - 34 years old. The world belongs to your generation!

Thanks again!

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE
Attachments
Graphs.png
Graphs

Return to “Marketing Your Products”