LiveCode on Social Media

Visit here to inform or invite LiveCode users to user groups, meetings, conventions or other gatherings. Events must be related to LiveCode.

Moderators: FourthWorld, Klaus, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode on Social Media

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:22 am

For LC support nothing beats the use-list and these LC Forums, but for spreading the word about LC and the cool stuff you're making with it nothing beat social media.

Two of the largest social media discussion groups for LC are:

LinkedIn: LiveCode Developers
Best social media platform for professional interests
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/50811/

Facebook: LiveCode Users
One of the biggest platforms for general audiences
https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecodeusers

Is there a third I should include there?

If you use those platforms please consider joining the LC groups. The more active discussion that takes place there, the more newcomers may be introduced to the language we love.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Re: LiveCode on Social Media

Post by stam » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:31 pm

I would suggest adding reddit as well.
Fills the gap between those 'socialite' Facebook, and 'business' linkedIn - plus there is likely more engagment there with other languages and probably a good place to try and entice developers from elsewhere. However posting there is limited...

The official subreddit is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/livecode/

On that note, I also note that posting is restricted (presumably by LC Ltd.) which isn't great...

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:07 am

Following on from this - and because I like reddit - I created a subreddit for liveCode of my own and imaginatively called it LiveCodeScripts https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveCodeScripts/

Each post is a tip or algorithm from stuff I discovered/developed on my own or found the solution to online (where I thought to store the original author I have attributed, but I'm guilty of not always remembering to store that info, so it may be missing now - happy to attribute if the author is known).

The subreddit is open for all to post - the idea really is to create a 'clean' repository, keeping chatter to a minimum (this is what we have the forum for ;)), but if you spot errors or can make the code more efficient and especially if you have created useful algorithms/reusable code of your own, then please do post.

I've posted a few items and have scheduled posts daily (some more interesting that others, but probably all interesting for new users).

Stam

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:45 pm

I see a tantalising glimpse of some topic headings, but a big warning message saying "unreviewed content" that I can only view "in app", otherwise it directs me to the home page.
I'll have to wait to get a chance to download and sign up to check it out, but thanks for setting this up.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:46 pm

SparkOut wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:45 pm
I see a tantalising glimpse of some topic headings, but a big warning message saying "unreviewed content" that I can only view "in app", otherwise it directs me to the home page.
I'll have to wait to get a chance to download and sign up to check it out, but thanks for setting this up.
weird... I'll see if I can change this. No point in there being obstacles to this...

edit:
I see I had to... approve my own posts ;)
So I guess that was the 'unreviewed content"?

I can't see a way to switch that off, if anyone is handier with reddit pls let me know if I'm missing a setting somewhere...

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:53 pm

Screenshot_20240610_194735_Samsung Internet.jpg
That's the error.
I would hope it's just because it's new, and will soon be reviewed and approved, but I don't know about the reddit processes.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:54 pm

Oh I see... yeh I guess it must because it's a new site.

I guess I have to wait for approval :-/

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:34 pm

I saw that too. I just laughed. Reddit management is such a hot mess these days, I no longer pay attention to any of its alerts.
Richard Gaskin

stam

Post by stam » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:55 pm

FWIW, I logged out of my account and went to reddit.com and searched for LiveCodeScripts. It shows up on the right hand panel under 'Communities' and appears to work as advertised - at least on Safari & Chrome on MacOS, I get no warning.

I have the app on the phone and it works the same there as well (having logged out of my account first).

If I open reddit in a mobile web browser however, I get the warning as above - it seems to be purely limited to mobile web browsers, at least as far as I can tell. Seems like an annoying limitation with no obvious way to address this. Perhaps it's related to limited number of members (1!) and posters (1!).

Annoyingly if searching for LiveCode, it doesn't directly show up under communities (I guess it's because there is currently only 1 member, me ;) but at least some of the posts show up.

It may help gain more visibility if more become members I guess?
Plus I'm sure everyone has at least 1 hand algorithm no one else has, feel free to post or comment...

stam

Post by stam » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:37 pm

After digging into this more, it may well not be possible to view in mobile web browser although it's fine in desktop browser.

They gist of it, as far as I can tell, is that reddit are trying to force mobile users to use the app exclusively, or at least that's what I read between the lines of the many complaints and bug reports over the last year...

I have always used the mobile app and I've not minded, so I never picked up on this at all until SparkOut's post - there are many similar on reddit's support subreddits.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:53 pm

On Android Chrome I usually get a dialog asking if I want to continue in the app, which I don't have installed, or stay in Chrome. I choose to stay in the browser and it works.

I just tried the reddit link and I get the warning about unreviewed content with no other options except to go home or use the app. I suspect once the review is done it will go back to normal.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:09 am

jacque wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:53 pm
I just tried the reddit link and I get the warning about unreviewed content with no other options except to go home or use the app. I suspect once the review is done it will go back to normal.
The weird thing is that this warning is limited to mobile web.
Desktop browsers don't see it (as far as I can tell).
Neither does the app on mobile.

You'd think if it was truly a community review issue, it would affect the both of those platforms as well, and neither could I find any detail about the review process....

stam

Post by stam » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:51 am

Well that was weird…

Inexplicably the subreddit was banned, with no explanation.
After I filled in an appeal form, the ban was lifted within an hour, again with no explanation.

I think Richard’s comment in Reddit’s management was more accurate than I realised. It seems community reviews and bans are run by groups of volunteers or randoms being asked to review.

Anyway, no longer banned and now also reviewed so the mobile browser warning isn’t (or shouldn’t) be a problem now.

I’m abroad but have scheduled some automated daily posts. I’m sure everyone here can contribute some pearls of wisdom, please do consider posting…

Stam

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:47 pm

Whether Reddit's history of drama plays a role in this subreddit I can't say. But for some background on the moderation tug-of-war that went on there last year:
https://www.theverge.com/23779477/reddi ... ts-crushed
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:39 pm

It works on mobile now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com