simplest way to record student scores

Using LiveCode in research or teaching of post secondary topics? Share your interests with other academics.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jrioux

simplest way to record student scores

Post by jrioux » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm developing an app which will eventually record student scores (date, time, score) for a series of exercises. I know I could have Livecode store this data in a local file and then I could have my students send the files to me (I suppose that's the default), but much better would be to have students enter ids and passwords and have the app store the data for each on a file accessible to all. "Accessible to all" means, I am assuming, an online database. If this database could then be downloaded to my grading software, all the better. Apparently there are some free sites which allow one to create MySQL databases. I also know that Livecode will access, read from, and write to such databases.

My question is, is there some simpler way to do this which I am missing? I'd have (at most) 60 students / semester with at most 25 date/time/score entries each. I think that's a relatively tiny amount of data, as these things go.

Many thanks in advance...

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: simplest way to record student scores

Post by Mark » Tue May 03, 2011 10:33 am

Hi jrioux,

Instead of using MySQL, you could write a PHP script that stores the data in a file on your server. However, if 60 students try to contact the server simultatneously, you might run into trouble. A MySQL server is more reliable. If you don't have a MySQL server, I offer cheap web hosting services that include MySQL.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 03, 2011 2:39 pm

jrioux wrote:I'd have (at most) 60 students / semester with at most 25 date/time/score entries each. I think that's a relatively tiny amount of data, as these things go.
Indeed it is. You could write a CGI with RevServer which could handle each student as a text file. Since each text file is separate the concern about record-locking becomes greatly diminished.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 pm

I confess I haven't really considered what you are looking to do in terms of understanding what you can and can't do, but maybe a Google Docs scenario is simplest here?

Return to “Research and Post Secondary”