Application Development

Using LiveCode in research or teaching of post secondary topics? Share your interests with other academics.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mmaitzen
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Application Development

Post by mmaitzen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 pm

Hello,

We have a lab for which I am responsible which allows students to play a video tape (yes tape) and, with a camera and PIP unit, record that video onto another tape with their image and sound inserted, picture in picture. They also simply view tapes or record full screen to a tape as well. This is connected to a computer system which allows for the "broadcast" of video and audio from an instructor's workstation so that all the student workstations can view and even record their image PIP into the video being sent to them. Again, this is not on computer, it is all analog tape decks, monitor and picture in picture. Only the control system is on computer.

This system was custom installed on top of a Sony audio learning system to include the video part specifically for our American Sign Language courses. The developer is no longer in this business and although Sony has moved on to all digital versions of it's audio only system they have nothing like the custom system we had installed many years ago. Ours is very unique.

Most of our labs are going all digital now except this one as we don't see any way to do it. It seems to me that we should be able to do what this system does all digitally if we had the right software but I have not found any software packages that do this. I see picture in picture in things like Apple's Video iChat so I know it can be done.

I was thinking it would be possible to do in Revolution but, frankly, though I have Revolution and have done some programming in it, coding is not my forte. My expertise is media production. I am writing to this group in the hopes that someone here might be able to develop an application that could replace our analog system.

Please let me know what you think of the viability of this type of project and if you would be interested in developing it. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
--
Michael R. Maitzen
Teleproduction Supervisor
School of Liberal Arts Technical Services
Phone: 317/274-0568

Return to “Research and Post Secondary”