Ships - Tanks - Cars - Planes - Shots in Livecode

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

faber3d

Ships - Tanks - Cars - Planes - Shots in Livecode

Post by faber3d » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:08 am

The Games with static images are among the most notable in Livecode....The general bases are important for the developments.
--- > Video Example..!

-
Attachments
EscenarioNave.jpg

faber3d

Re: Ships - Tanks - Cars - Planes - Shots in Livecode

Post by faber3d » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:06 pm

Knowing the basics of turning elements and characters in Livecode makes it easier for us to make very creative and simple RPG games, especially with static images.

In These days I will upload an example where we have a character spinning and shooting for "RPG" games.

We will use the same example that we developed for the rotation of ships, tanks, cars and planes, now we will use it to move a character in an "RPG" game terrain.

All is creativity.
Attachments
girosoldier.gif

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:09 am

Here is the example of Rotations of elements and Characters in Livecode for our games.

It is one of the very important examples of knowing and working if we want to make games of this style.

Following the general standard of game development, the examples are simple and easy to understand.

Making games in Livecode is very easy, with very simple coding and a little creativity we can make a wide variety of games with this program.

Although I have seen little interest in the games, I will continue to show how easy it is to make them with a simple and basic coding.

--- > Video Example..!
Attachments
rotation character.jpg

SWEdeAndy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by SWEdeAndy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 am

I’m following this subject with interest, as I also make games from time to time.

I’ve experienced some problems with getting smooth animations when combined with collision detection. LiveCode isn’t always fast enough to process all that needs to happen more or less simultaneously, it seems.

But it’s still a great tool to make games with, no doubt about that!
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:51 pm

Regards SWEdeAndy, Image

As I have always mentioned, the animations and movements of elements can be improved by structuring the code as a set of mechanical wheels, each command or function must work in coordination with the others and not in isolation.

Although our code appears to work, in Livecode we must organize it so that the game works better. In general, many programmers do not differentiate between main commands and secondary commands and let them work independently, which causes the game to become slow when overloaded with tasks.

You have to know how to place the "collisions", the "repeat" and the "wait".

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:56 am

The example was developed as a reference to show the wide variety of top-down shooter games that can be created using static images and the rotatiòn of elementos in Livecode.

All is creativity.
Attachments
ZombieshooterC.jpg
zombieshooterB.jpg

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:50 pm

Is important to say that at this moment LC only works for me to develop Minigames, not recommended for complex games.

stam

Post by stam » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:21 am

faber3d wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:50 pm
Is important to say that at this moment LC only works for me to develop Minigames, not recommended for complex games.
Games come in many forms.
When complexity is mentioned, what is often meant is complexity with multiple moving objects, which leads to low frame rates - but we've also seen some fairly complex card games built with LC for example. And let's not forget the old classics like Myst (built initially with LC's progenitor), which while simple animation-wise was quite complex.
If/when the promised compiled scripts arrived, frame rates will likely improve significantly to the point of usability for 'action' games.

However, frame rates is not the real issue.

For complex games the developer/team need to design everything from scratch because there are no frameworks available. Nothing to assist the developer in creating maps/environments, storyboards, no graphics or sound libraries, etc.

Outside of LC, very often games are created in gaming IDEs, where there are frameworks and AV resources available to support the developer.
LC developers have to 'roll their own' for specific projects and to expand on this and build something that can be used generically and applied to any project, would be a large undertaking - but I would argue a valuable one.

Some time ago, in a thread discussing how to make LC more attractive to new users, I did post the idea that bespoke IDEs are much more task-orientated and focus not on general programming, but on a specific domain might be actually more helpful.
Focusing on doing limited tasks with much more support for devs, doing it well and attractively and this may well be a more enticing entry point for new LC users. I would argue perhaps would do more than LiveCode Create to bring in new users - but understandably LC cannot let AI pass them by either.

The 2 IDEs I mentioned were an IDE for database-driven apps (similar to FileMaker Pro) and and IDE for games (similar to GameMaker).

I still use FileMaker Pro in my day-to-day because nothing comes close to the ease of use and speed of development, not even LC.
It can't do what LC can, but what it does it does well, attractively, and very quickly. I can build an equivalent app in LC but will take at least x4-6 times longer, with much more troubleshooting and testing required. LC does have the potential to build nicer apps (also keeping in mind FMP can't produce standalones any more) - but nothing comes close to FMP as a RAD for database-driven apps.

Building such bespoke RAD environments is very much within the possibilities of LC and there are a few abortive attempts I've seen for creating database-driven apps (i.e where at least some abstraction has been applied) but these have never really taken because they don't really do enough and the argument then is why one should bother if you're going to have to do 80-90% of the app 'the normal way'.

I posted that comment very much with FMP in mind - because I, and I'm sure many others, have a need for it. I don't need GameMaker but I imagine it's a similar issue. You can do all that in LC, but it would probably take x10 as long.

These are large projects that would need significant resource to do well, so unless there is a super-motivated developer/team I doubt we'll see a FileMaker Pro or GameMaker equivalent in LC any time soon (sadly...). Or maybe it will just be a matter of the right level of AI built in to just do this all for you ;)

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:19 am

Regards stam
Yes, the variety of minigames is very wide. Image

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:58 am

Why do I feel that this, undoubtedly, clever tutorial would be even better if we could download the stacks?

faber3d

Post by faber3d » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:02 am

Regards richmond62

These days I have been thinking a lot about your proposal because some of my stacks are commercial and not free.

I will try to rethink how to make my stacks more accessible. Image

Return to “Games”