Issues changing layers

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

17rag01l

Issues changing layers

Post by 17rag01l » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:03 am

Hey
In the stable version of livecode 8 im having trouble changing the layer of an object/field/etc.. Every time i go in property inspector to do so and click on a different button to save the new layer, it seems to just reset to the previous layer i had it on... Very frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions

PBH
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Issues changing layers

Post by PBH » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:53 am

I suspect the objects you are trying to re-layer are in a group(s), if that's correct you should ensure 'Select Grouped' is deselected in the menu bar and click on the group, then click 'Edit Group' in the menu bar, now you should be able to change the object's layer within the group. When you've finished click 'Stop Editing' in the menu bar.
If you have nested groups, you will see similar issues, you can only re-layer within 1 group at a time.

Paul

oldummy

Post by oldummy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:34 pm

I too am having this same problem. I have a group of 6 buttons. They are not the issue as far as I know, but rather the remaining 32 btns that are not grouped.
I am using their numbers in a script, but the numbers have changed and I cannot re-order them without everything reverting back to the wrong number,
??

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi oldummy,

1. welcome to the forum! :D

oldummy wrote:I too am having this same problem. I have a group of 6 buttons. They are not the issue as far as I know, but rather the remaining 32 btns that are not grouped.
I am using their numbers in a script, but the numbers have changed and I cannot re-order them without everything reverting back to the wrong number,
??
There is nothing we can do about this!

This is the disadvantage of not giving your objects a meaningful name and
referencing them by their number or even ID, which can also change.

The only advice I can give: Rename you objects and script again.

Best

Klaus

oldummy

Post by oldummy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

oldummy

Post by oldummy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Sorry to drag this out, but I tried grouping the btns, and then I could adjust the numbers and layers to my desire, and the scripts using the btn numbers did in fact work.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Glad you found a workaround! :D
Nevertheless you will get stuck at some point using only numbers to references objects.

Return to “Games”