How many Cards can one application hold?

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jerrettajGAb6ba

How many Cards can one application hold?

Post by jerrettajGAb6ba » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi..

I want to build a trivia game...

Wanted to know... Do I build a card for each question or... use a database instead... I have 500 questions..

What is the script language to use for making the question random... for the user..

Thanks I'm a beginner... looking for help... Just something I was wondering...

Jerret...

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How many Cards can one application hold?

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Jerett,

500 cards isn't too many. A stack could hold billions of cards, but that would make the app very slow. If you are going to put pictures and videos in your stack, then I would advice to use just a few cards and display texts, pictures and videos dynamically. If you are going to use text only, then you might as well make those 500 cards. Personally, I like elegant programming and in this case I would probably keep the data in a custom property and use only one or two cards to display the data.

One more thing. If as stack contains thousands of objects, building a standalone may take a lot of time. That's another reason why it might be a good idea to keep the number of cards down. However, sometimes using many objects can't be avoided and in those cases you need to tweak the standalone settings to make sure that the standalone builder doesn't check every single object in the stack. For example, you can improve build time by selecting components for inclusion manually instead of having them included automatically.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

jerrettajGAb6ba

Re: How many Cards can one application hold?

Post by jerrettajGAb6ba » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:01 am

Great.. Mark...

Thank you ... I'm very hopeful...now..

Return to “Games”