How good is LiveCode for games?

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

CoffeeCone

How good is LiveCode for games?

Post by CoffeeCone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Okay so I see that LiveCode is being shown as a good gaming language. But how exactly does it fare with regards to handling games? I've searched the Dictionary but haven't found any info on GPU usage. Does that mean the game runs on CPU? How does one change the game resolution? As for mobile games, do they run on the GPU?
Learning LiveCode, one step at a time.

dave_probertGA6e24
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How good is LiveCode for games?

Post by dave_probertGA6e24 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Just to pop a bubble from the start - You are not gonna be able to do high-end games, 3D or AAA-rated titles and time soon.

There is no 3D support - therefore no GPU direct support. There is a level of accelerated rendering, but I think it's more at the 2D compositing stage (possibly uses GPU - not sure)

The games are going to be more along the lines of 2D "sprite" type games - "defender"-like horizontal flyers, top-down RPG's, Board games, and a few other types.

As far as doing the resolution changes - that is going to be the same as for any other mobile App in LC. To find out more on that subject - please search these forums - there is a lot of discussion regarding it.

Livecode can have Extensions done in C/C++/Obj-C (or other languages) - so someone might make a 3D add-on that will work with Mobile devices (don't hold your breath though!)

There are a few games already out there done in LC on many machines (PC/Mac/iOS/Android/Linux). I personally have a game on iTunes Appstore called "HexThello", which was done entirely in LC (in only a week too!). There is a thread on this forum that gives some info on more Apps/Games. Also take a look at http://livecode1001.blogspot.com - there are some games in there too.

Most of what can be done will come from learning to program and figuring out the best way to make what you want happen. LC is not a Games-Maker program though - it's just a language.

Hope that helps a little,
Dave
Coding in the Sun - So much Fun.
Visit http://electronic-apps.info for released App information.

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Hopefully once box2d is added to the list of features things will get a bit easier. As mentioned, if you want a full blown 3d fps type of game? Probably not gonna happen, though I think the franklin 3d external is still out there. No clue if it works on ios/android and have never used it on desktop so don't know how well it works. The box2d stuff though should rock! (If I recall correctly, angry birds uses box2d)

CoffeeCone

Post by CoffeeCone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:44 pm

dave_probertGA6e24 wrote:Just to pop a bubble from the start - You are not gonna be able to do high-end games, 3D or AAA-rated titles and time soon.

There is no 3D support - therefore no GPU direct support. There is a level of accelerated rendering, but I think it's more at the 2D compositing stage (possibly uses GPU - not sure)

The games are going to be more along the lines of 2D "sprite" type games - "defender"-like horizontal flyers, top-down RPG's, Board games, and a few other types.

As far as doing the resolution changes - that is going to be the same as for any other mobile App in LC. To find out more on that subject - please search these forums - there is a lot of discussion regarding it.

Livecode can have Extensions done in C/C++/Obj-C (or other languages) - so someone might make a 3D add-on that will work with Mobile devices (don't hold your breath though!)

There are a few games already out there done in LC on many machines (PC/Mac/iOS/Android/Linux). I personally have a game on iTunes Appstore called "HexThello", which was done entirely in LC (in only a week too!). There is a thread on this forum that gives some info on more Apps/Games. Also take a look at -OMITTED- - there are some games in there too.

Most of what can be done will come from learning to program and figuring out the best way to make what you want happen. LC is not a Games-Maker program though - it's just a language.

Hope that helps a little,
Dave
Thanks a lot Dave. I'm not particularly looking to make 3D games. I'm just concerned that if the game will run off of the CPU, it defeats the purpose of having a GPU in the first place. Plus, it would be easier on the system resources too.
sturgis wrote:Hopefully once box2d is added to the list of features things will get a bit easier. As mentioned, if you want a full blown 3d fps type of game? Probably not gonna happen, though I think the franklin 3d external is still out there. No clue if it works on ios/android and have never used it on desktop so don't know how well it works. The box2d stuff though should rock! (If I recall correctly, angry birds uses box2d)
Sweet! So box2d is coming. Nope, no 3D fps games. Just optimized for GPU usage.
Learning LiveCode, one step at a time.

Fasasoftware

Post by Fasasoftware » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:55 pm

We will hope that in the near future livecode offer a native support for 3d gaming and mp3....and compact the size of memory of the applications....

Best Regards,

Lestroso

Return to “Games”