Livecode Ideas For IRL Puzzle app

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Xero

Livecode Ideas For IRL Puzzle app

Post by Xero » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:00 am

Hi brainstrust,
I am embarking on a project to create a multi-facet puzzle game that is based on 'in real life' situations.
It's hard to explain as we're trying to break some new ground and cross-over a few boundaries.
The basis of the game is a treasure hunt based on puzzles. There is text- and image-based clues that give information to finding a real life place where something will happen. A reward will be given, a clue will be given, something... and it may be different for each part of the game. There are current armchair treasure hunts in this vein, but we're looking to expand beyond the current paradigm and use current technology. Part of this new facet of technology would obviously be an app, and as I am versed in Livecode, it's probably where at least the prototype would be developed.
As an idea, I wrote a steganographic coder and have placed the code in the Multimedia section of this forum. This may form part of the app that would allow us to hide clues within current images, and those clues would need to be extracted using the app.
Does anyone have or know of any novel ideas- even undeveloped, un-coded ones- that would possibly be of interest to us? I am happy to do the groundwork to develop the code if it's within my knowledge.
Think about how real-life situations can be meshed into an app (augmented reality, etc).
(edit:) I will add that this may end up going commercial, so if you consider me using your idea as theft of intellectual property, please don't post anything in response here. If I don't hear about it, I can't be accused of theft!
Thanks in advance.
Xero.
Last edited by Xero on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode Ideas For IRL Puzzle app

Post by richmond62 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:27 am

I wrote a steganographic coder and have placed the code in the Multimedia section of this forum.
That's funny, I can't find it.

Xero

Post by Xero » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:33 am

Here's the post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34843
Sadly, I couldn't post the stack, so I posted the code, and it would need to be reconstructed!
Xero

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:56 am

Do what I do: put your stack on DropBox and post the link. 8)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm

This is an exciting thread, Xero, very much in line with my current interest in studying ARGs and treasure hunts in general.

Are you familiar with the Jejune Institute?

And ever visit ARGN? https://www.argn.com/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Xero

Post by Xero » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 am

Thanks for the link FourthWorld. Lot of stuff to ply through, but loads of ideas.
The problem with all this is... where the heck to start. There are so many options.
My background is with The Secret (Byron Preiss) and a little look into Cicada, etc. I love the art side of The Secret and am interested in how that can be branched out to lever current technology and create new game experiences. Anything from QR code links or messages (which could be done through SQuiRt with livecode) to AR using a different platform (I can't remember which one, but there's a free version with limitations that could be used). Or even using similar technology within livecode (make a completely different QR-type code that is only readable via a self-built app) to bridge the gap between online and real-life experiences.
Then, the easy bit, you just need to weave a story through it to entertain and you're done!
I have already released a series of online treasure hunts, and am releasing a new one this coming week and once it's finalised, I am hoping to get on to this project. My big hurdle will be with the fact that I only have a community licence so whatever I release will need to be open-source, and easily hackable. Plus, I don't have a developer account with MS, Google or Apple, so getting the app out is also a minor problem...
XdM

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:01 pm

I only have a community licence so whatever I release will need to be open-source, and easily hackable.
The CLEVER thing to do is develop your stuff with the Community version, and then when it is finally ready,
buy a licensed version and use that to make your standalones ready for sale.

Xero

Post by Xero » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:18 am

The CLEVER thing to do is develop your stuff with the Community version, and then when it is finally ready,
buy a licensed version and use that to make your standalones ready for sale.
But that would be cheeky, and I'd never do that! If I were going to make a crack of being an app designer, I'd go to the trouble of buying a proper licence, etc. The community here is great, and the program is great and should be financially supported properly... I'd be better off just hiring someone to polish and pit into app stores.
It may end up being a HTML5 on website 'app' in the end. That may work best for a lot of users... But would come with limitations...

:wink:

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 am

But that would be cheeky
Not really, after all, LiveCode will still get their money at the end of the development process.

Xero

Post by Xero » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:53 am

Hi all!
I have been developing up my ideas, have written some stuff that I think is pretty fun, and am almost ready to test some of the functionality of an IRL game app.
I have developed some AR with Unity and that has come along well.
What I am thinking now, and wouldn't mind some input from the community, is about using livecoding (yes, coding in Livecode) as part of the app. It would entail:
1. A puzzle that directs people to a website. On that website would be a livecode script with details about where to go to download the Community (free) version in the initial remarks section of the code. Then a section detailing that the code should be copied into the Stack Script of a new stack, then the whole thing run in the IDE.
2. The code itself would create an app from scratch in code- size stack, create button & assign script, create field & assign script, custom functions, and load object (i.e. image) from web address. So when the app is run in the IDE, it will just create everything that is needed in the place that it is needed- no extra coding required.
3. The app would then run some sort of functionality to do something that is part of the game. i.e. unlock clues etc.

So, my questions are these:
a) Do you think people would be willing to download the community version (500MB)? Especially if it's now from a non-official Livecode site?
b) Is that kosher in terms of what has been agreed with the powers that be at Livecode HQ?
c) Do you think that level of coding (copy and paste into stack script) would be appropriate for someone not familiar with Livecode? Bearing in mind that there are plenty of easily accessible basic tutorials out there.
d) Do you think that would be a (good) way of introducing people to coding/ Livecode?

I think it would make an interesting part of the game and would be a great way of engaging with technology without requiring too much knowledge of it, and would act as a great key to unlock clues.
I wouldn't mind trialling it here if people of all coding abilities are interested...
XdM

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:30 am

LC Ltd no longer maintains or promotes the older open source editions.

They may be amenable to working with you to promote a free starter edition, if they currently have such a thing.

You'll have to write them to get a sense of what they'd like to support. You can reach them at:
support AT livevode.com
Richard Gaskin

stam

Post by stam » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 am

Xero wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:53 am
1. A puzzle that directs people to a website. On that website would be a livecode script with details about where to go to download the Community (free) version in the initial remarks section of the code. Then a section detailing that the code should be copied into the Stack Script of a new stack, then the whole thing run in the IDE.
2. The code itself would create an app from scratch in code- size stack, create button & assign script, create field & assign script, custom functions, and load object (i.e. image) from web address. So when the app is run in the IDE, it will just create everything that is needed in the place that it is needed- no extra coding required.
3. The app would then run some sort of functionality to do something that is part of the game. i.e. unlock clues etc
I think it more realistic to consider integrating the planned web-based IDE rather than asking users to download > 0.5 Tb of legacy software that will not receive any maintenance updates to ensure it runs on the OS’s du jour…. Rumour is there may/will be a free web based version, so that would likely be a good fit.

As Richard says, contact LC support directly as this may well be a mutually beneficial project…

Xero

Post by Xero » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:56 am

Thanks Richard and Stam.
A web-based version would be worthwhile! DLing the big file was also a concern for me.
My other option would be to simply recreate the code in C# or the like that is a more easily available language and let people work in an IDE of their own choosing. That, sadly may be the way I go with the shelving of the community version.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
X

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:21 am

Xero wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:56 am
Thanks Richard and Stam.
A web-based version would be worthwhile! DLing the big file was also a concern for me.
My other option would be to simply recreate the code in C# or the like that is a more easily available language and let people work in an IDE of their own choosing. That, sadly may be the way I go with the shelving of the community version.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
X
The open source edition of Live code was licensed under GPLv3. If the requirements of that license are a better fit for your needs, there is at least one active fork of that code base.

Since these forums are run by LiveCode Ltd, questions relating to a fork maintained by another party would be better posted there.

openxtalk.org
Richard Gaskin

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:27 pm

Xero.
DLing