commands U.I friendly

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: commands U.I friendly

Post by richmond62 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:13 am

To be honest the thing that slowed me down was because I was being slightly cretinous
and using seconds and ending up with LiveCode getting all in a pother trying to divide by
zero.

But, hey, after 20 years with RR/LC and a further 10 with HyperCard why would you
expect me to know about milliseconds. 8)
-
whatADrag.jpg
-

Code: Select all

grab me

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:33 pm

"Just for fun" I gave that exercise to a load of boys and girls (aged between 14 and 15)
who attend my EFL school [I mean, who the hell wants to do English when one can muck
around with computers?]
-
utterBallz.jpg
-
Now, none of them had any experience with LiveCode, and only one of them had any experience
with any form of computer programming at all. But they had all worked out the Mathematics in
15 minutes, because, as they said, that was the sort of stuff they were doing at 10-11 (as was I).

No calculation of any hypoteneuse, no sine, no cosine, just baby, baby maths.
-
carom.jpeg
carom.jpeg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
-
More relevant a picture than perhaps most people realise.

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:44 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:19 pm
Samuele has 78 posts here, most quite obviously in earnest. I'd give a little time before casting judgment on this one.

It's actually a good question: the drag command is a holdover from HC, yet we have little in the engine to handle modern animation effects like multicell sprites, or even threaded animated GIFs.
I had been planning to do some experiments in building a Widget to use as a Sprite object, it could have non-blocking timer, image transforms, maybe hit-detection-paths and such.
More generally I had an idea that a timer widget could be made that can queue up a list of time/event pairs of arbitrary messages to post back to the script engine at the requested time. Very simple concept, basically an additional message send-in-time queue, but I have a few use cases in mind
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Games”