Is it possible to create a strategy Games in livecode.

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adeeltallat

Is it possible to create a strategy Games in livecode.

Post by adeeltallat » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Hello Developers,
I am new to LiveCode and want to get some professional experience from you guys. I have done my BSCS From Comsats Lahore and have good programming knowledge in JAVA, PHP, and ROR. Now, I want to learn android game development and some of my friends recommended I join this forum to learn game development.

My interest is in strategy games as I am playing these types of games since childhood and have good knowledge of techniques used in these games.
I was playing the dragon city mod apk from apkmodstudio for the last 4 months and am willing to make similar one.

So I want to know the following things first
1) What're the main differences between the JAVA and this coding (if/else statement, Loops etc)
2) What are the main libraries used to make strategy games.

Thanks
Anurag
Last edited by adeeltallat on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is it possible to create a strategy Games in livecode.

Post by richmond62 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:29 pm

I am 100% certain it is possible to create a strategy game in LiveCode,
and the best way to find out about that is to look at the resources offered on the LiveCode website.
What're the main differences between the JAVA and this coding
I would suggest you download some sample stacks from the LiveCode website and do some digging.
What are the main libraries used to make strategy games.
The concept of libraries is foreign to LiveCode.

Personally I have always thought a strategy games was like this: https://www.wesnoth.org/
-
SShot 2021-07-17 at 18.40.23.jpg
And not this:
-
DC2-1024x576.jpg
Which looks like some sort of gambling.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:19 pm

The concept of libraries is foreign to LiveCode.
Not entirely, we do have library scripts or stacks which are implemented with the "start using" command. Many of the inclusions in the standalone builder are libraries, and we can also create our own.

@Anurag: The LiveCode User Guide explains the concepts and paradigm in the IDE and is a critical read for newcomers. Access it from the Help menu in the app.

There is an old set of tutorial stacks that are aimed at providing the basics for beginners. They are somewhat out of date in appearance but the concepts have not changed and the information is still accurate. The set is arranged to explain LiveCode concepts in order for best understanding, so start with the first stack and go in order though about the first half. After that, you can proably choose which topics in the second half that you want to know more about. It's critical to understand how LiveCode works because it is different from the languages you already know.
http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

For specific answers to how to do specific things, search in the LC lessons for what you need to know:
https://lessons.livecode.com

And of course, this forum is ready and willing to answer any questions.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

emilia27

Post by emilia27 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Although I am new to Livecode but I can definitely say that you can create a good Strategy game in LiveCode,
You can find a lot of details and discussions on the Livecode website. They have a lot of resources and that's how I started with them.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:04 pm

a good Strategy game
What is not entirely clear is what the OP means by a "strategy game", and
until s/he has defined that certain aspects of their original question may
prove difficult to answer authoritatively.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 pm

"oyunclubnet" is either a bot or a very misplaced post.

Now then, the one thing we might inquire of the OP is what he means, or expects, from "libraries".

If he means repositories of code available and accessible everywhere in the message hierarchy, then LC certainly has all that and more. Richmond, every time you use a backScript or a stack in use you are essentially using a "library".

But I believe the OP may be referring to existing code that performs some of the gaming tasks he might be interested in. In that case, we need more information. But does even asking that question in that way imply that other development environments have such pre-made gadgetry?

Craig

Return to “Games”