Which Linux version to choose ?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Which Linux version to choose ?

Post by bangkok » Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 am

I would like to use RunRev (Entreprise) on Linux.

Which Linux would be the best choice, in order to have a perfect stability ?

I don't mind if some IDE/interface parts are not the same compared to RunRev for windows. I just need peace of mind regarding stability.

I use mainly database functions (with the ODBC driver).

FourthWorld

Re: Which Linux version to choose ?

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 24, 2010 1:26 pm

There are as many opinions about this as their are distros.

In my own shop I've standardized on Ubuntu, because it's currently the clear market leader for consumer desktop use, and IMO for good reason:

Ubuntu's slogan is "Linux for human beings", and that mandate has driven nearly everything in the user experience design. Simple to install, easy to use, and has developed a community surrounding it which is much more open to mixing proprietary and open source software, making it as attractive to commercial developers as it is to new users.

Ubuntu is delivered on a single CD image, which you can boot from to try it out before you decide to install. If you do decide to install, I think you'll find it one of the simplest installation experiences ever - on par with Apple's OS X, or perhaps even simpler.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If you're running a netbook, Ubuntu also makes a version optimized for the smaller screen size and more modest hardware, the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks Richard for your reply.

So you confirm that you have no problem with RunRev on Ubuntu ?

Which version of Ubuntu do you use ?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 pm

I didn't say there were no problems with the Rev engine for Linux, but then again there are issues with the engines for all platforms. With a code base as complex as Rev's I would expect that.

With Linux I've found mostly cosmetic issues, such as default buttons rendering too small and some details about how fields are rendered.

Others have reported difficulties with some printer drivers or obtaining a complete list of installed fonts with the fontNames function, but I've also seen similar issues in other programs so it's unclear how much of that may be Rev-specific.

I've spent most of my Linux time with Rev on Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04. I love the latest Ubuntu. :)
Richard Gaskin

helboy

Post by helboy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:52 am

I like the to use the Enterprise on Linux.This version are function is very high and perfectly maintain the data base with the driver.I can say there are no problem with the engine for Linux and for all platforms.

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi helboy.

I agree with FourthWorld, I would choose to use Ubuntu over the other distros, I have tried openSuSE 11.2 and whilst its feature base is planets bigger than Ubuntu's, Ubuntu just does what it says on CD. My sister tried openSuSE and was mind boggled by the number of desktop environments available but when I installed Ubuntu for her, she fell in love with it (And my sister aint exactly the best with computers, somehow she managed to cake XP five times on her computer in the first week of having it).

I myself use Ubuntu on the grounds that it seems lighter on my laptops resources than openSuSE, additionally I have not found any problems with Revolution running on it, 9.10 had a few problems running one or two of the themes with Rev, but from what I have seen those seem fixed in the new 10.04 version.

I hope this helps dude. :)

doc

Post by doc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 pm

I've used a very large majority of the distro's that have been available over the last 10 years, and agree that Ubuntu is really a great choice for most folks.

With that said, if any of you are still setting on the fence, you might also want to try out LinuxMint, which is just a spin-off of Ubuntu. In addition to what I personally consider to be a nicer menuing system, it will also add some proprietary drivers and codec's that the average user will want at some point. The developer(s) seem to keep up to date with the main Ubuntu releases and I've never had a single problem using it.

-Doc-

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:03 am

doc wrote:...if any of you are still setting on the fence, you might also want to try out LinuxMint...
How is it on resources? I have a small nettop arriving here Tuesday, to be used solely as an experimental Rev server, and am not sure what OS I'll put on it. On another similar system here I've been playing with Xubuntu and like many things about it, but I've heard good things about Mint too. Any idea offhand how it compares to Xubuntu in terms of resource usage?
Richard Gaskin

doc

Post by doc » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Ya know, I've never really paid much attention to system resources when using Mint.
(It's probably a good thing that I never felt the need to do so. :) )

What I can tell you is that I was originally using it on an older laptop with specs like: 1.4 Mhz Celeron processor, built in video resources (shared from available memory) and only 512mb of RAM. I never had any difficulties with it on that system and in fact, at one point I even had XP running inside Virtual Box as well. (That was a bit of a stretch on resources, for sure.)

I honestly cannot say what may or may not have changed in that area for the later releases. One way to know for sure if you have the capabilities with the nettop, is to grab the latest version and install a bootable copy on a USB pen drive using UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net). Shoot, just take it for a spin. Of course it will still be a bit slower, but you should get an idea of how well it might work for ya.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing the gory details if you do try it... been thinking about getting a netbook/nettop of my own.

What system are you trying if you don't mind sharing the info?

-Doc-

Edited to add:
I just noticed that they have also released the RC of Linux Mint 9 LXDE for systems with "modest" resource capabilities. I've never tried it obviously, but it sure sounds like an interesting possibility. http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1429

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:55 pm

doc wrote:What system are you trying if you don't mind sharing the info?
The latest addition to the family here is a Lenova Q100 nettop:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/lenovo-q100

It's modestly outfitted, but even more modestly priced - I picked one up on Ebay for $152. :)

I'm installing Lubuntu 10.04 on one of my systems here this morning as a test. In the reviews I've read it requires a lot less memory than Xubuntu, which I'd been using. If the test goes well it'll go on the Q100 when it arrives Tuesday.

I've also been looking at the Fit-PC:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/

Seems like a nice system, and I love the small size and smallest-I've-seen-yet standby power (<6 watts).

I've also been lusting after one of these, but I have to admit I have no real need for something that rugged, it just looks cool:
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/amos_3000
Richard Gaskin

doc

Post by doc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:06 am

The latest addition to the family here is a Lenova Q100 nettop:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/lenovo-q100

It's modestly outfitted, but even more modestly priced - I picked one up on Ebay for $152.
That's awesome! ...I've been kind of avoiding looking for deals adn I can see now that you're gonna end up getting me into trouble. :lol:
FWIW, I'm in the process of downloading the new Linux Mint 9 LXDE right now so I can take it for a spin. I have plenty of horsepower on both my desktop and laptop, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

...oh how I wish that I could get completely away from Windows. I've been trying for over 10 years now and it still doesn't appear that it's gonna happen any time soon I'm afraid. Doesn't hurt to wish I'm guessing.

Keep us posted on how things work out with your new hardware configuration.
"Enquiring minds want to know."

-Doc-

doc

Post by doc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:53 am

Thought I'd add that I'm posting this using Linux Mint 9 LXDE, running off of the live CD.

Hey, it's pretty nice for sure, and just barely "sips" on the resources I have available. The taskbar and menuing system is a bit too "windows like" for my general preferences, but it all seems very functional and easy to use. Looks like it already has flash capabilities and codecs available, because right "out of the box" I was able to watch the videos posted at the RunRev site and Hulu as well as to stream a mp3 audio file. I also downloaded an mp3 to the desktop and it played easily with the pre-configured VLC player (which is my favorite to begin with).

Speaking of Internet related subjects, it came with Firefox 3.63 installed. Also, it automatically (and correctly) configured my USB wireless device, so I had immediate access to the net once I logged into the network. As for printing, it found my Brother laser printer that's connected by USB and I had no problems getting it configured. Only problem I had in printing was forgetting to check to make sure I had paper in the tray. ;)

I'm really not sure just how well it might work with the limited resources of a nettop box, but it is a really a sweet disto and one that should be at least considered I think. Next I'm gonna do a "Wubi" installation so I can take RunRev out for a spin with it.

To summarize in two words: Cool beans! 8) 8) 8)

Last edit:
I have verified that RunRev seems to work just fine on this distro. I ran one of my projects that was compiled on windows for Linux and it was just fine except for the differences in font rendering. Afterward, I installed RunRev and edited the project, changing the fonts and recompiled. All is well. Even the windows version I compiled ran just fine when I booted back into windows, so it looks like it's good to go.

-Doc-

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 pm

doc wrote:That's awesome! ...I've been kind of avoiding looking for deals and I can see now that you're gonna end up getting me into trouble. :lol:
Yeah, it's really easy to do. I had to make a rule for myself: I don't buy new computers until I've added 10 times its purchase price to my savings account. That helps motivate my savings goals, while still allowing me an occasional new toy to play with.

If this Lenova Q100 works out you should see direct benefit from it: it'll be the engine that will drive some interesting enhancements I'm making to RevNet this summer. More on that as it comes together, but in brief I'm revamping RevNet from the ground up to be an ever more valuable resource for the community. It's more work than I can do by myself, so I've enlisted a full-time assistant for it: I'm writing a robot that'll live on the Lenova working on RevNet for me 24/7.
Keep us posted on how things work out with your new hardware configuration.
"Enquiring minds want to know."
Will do. At the moment I can report that my decision to switch from Xubuntu to Lubuntu was a good one. The reviews were right: Lubuntu does indeed take less RAM than Xubuntu, and is much snappier on the crappy old Celeron-powered machine I installed it on for testing. Look like Lubuntu will be the OS I install on the Lenova. Lubuntu doesn't include some of the software Xubuntu bundles, and I must say the absence of the Ubuntu Software Center is mildly annoying. But it's nothing apt-get can't help me work around, and I've already got VNC running well on it, with much better performance than on Xubuntu.
I have verified that RunRev seems to work just fine on this distro. I ran one of my projects that was compiled on windows for Linux and it was just fine except for the differences in font rendering. Afterward, I installed RunRev and edited the project, changing the fonts and recompiled. All is well. Even the windows version I compiled ran just fine when I booted back into windows, so it looks like it's good to go.
Good to hear. If you find any issue please report them to the RQCC:
http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/

Given the relatively small size of the Linux audience today, Linux issues are often not the highest priority with RunRev Ltd., and I can understand that. Just the same, I'm trying to work with them to brainstorm solutions for at least the most serious issues that crop up, and the more we have a thorough catalog of those issues in the RQCC the better equipped we'll be to prioritze them. Thanks in advance for your efforts toward that end.
Richard Gaskin

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Update to my last post: FWIW, Lubuntu has become problematic. Chromium crashes frequently on the older machine I've been testing Lubuntu on, and I find that the absence of the Ubuntu Software Center not insurmountable but a bit of a drag in hunting things down.

Since I know and love Ubuntu Netbook Remix from my EeePC, I'm installing that next to see how it does. If anyone cares I can report back how it goes.
Richard Gaskin

doc

Post by doc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 am

FourthWorld wrote:Since I know and love Ubuntu Netbook Remix from my EeePC, I'm installing that next to see how it does. If anyone cares I can report back how it goes.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd enjoy hearing the results. :)

If the Netbook Remix doesn't do the job for you, there is always Linux Mint 9 LXDE to be tried still... other than the window-ish menuing, it seemed pretty solid, yet I have no way of estimating the resource needs at this time. Could be just a wild goose chase at that.

-Doc-

Edit: Fat fingered spelling mistake. :roll:

Return to “Linux”