Rev 3.5 silently terminates on Mandriva Spring 2009.1

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rozek

Rev 3.5 silently terminates on Mandriva Spring 2009.1

Post by rozek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello!

I've just installed Mandriva Spring 2009.1 on a MacBook Pro running MacOS X 10.5.8 with Parallels Desktop (all including the latest patches)

I "installed" Rev Enterprise 3.5 and was able to enter the license key (including any licensing details) but then Rev 3.5 silently terminated.

This silent termination already indicates, that the license key has been entered properly (otherwise, the license would have been requested again) but nothing else.

I do not get any error messages nor do I find s.th. in /var/log/messages.

Does anybody have any idea how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

gragon

Post by gragon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Have you tried executing Revolution from a terminal window? This may output messages that will give you an idea of what is going on.

rozek

Post by rozek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 pm

I always started it from the terminal window, the only lines written to it from RunRev are:

Will try and use Shared Memory extensions
XVideo extensions available? : No
Will use X-Freetype font rendering
Using Pango complex text layout

and then it stops...

P.S.: libxv is installed - but it seems as if RunRev would not recognize it. On the other hand that should not be the reason for not coming up!?

P.P.S.: hmmm, when invoked by the superuser, it hangs....(without writing anything to screen)
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

gragon

Post by gragon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 pm

For comparison purposes, here is my output from the terminal when I launch it. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64b.

Code: Select all

charlie@keeper:~$ runrev
XVideo extensions available? : Yes
Will use X-Freetype font rendering
Using Pango complex text layout
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
My libxv:
/usr/lib/libxvidcore.so.4
/usr/lib/libxvidcore.so.4.1

rozek

Post by rozek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:47 am

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, I already have all libraries and modules mentioned in your posting - but my Revolution output ends after "Using Pango..."

What bothers me, is that I do net get any hint, neither on the terminal screen nor in any log files (I even check the Xorg logs)

Are there any "hidden" command flags which one could use when launching RunRev?
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

Bernard

Re: Rev 3.5 silently terminates on Mandriva Spring 2009.1

Post by Bernard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Andreas,

It's a bit late in the day for replying to this. I had no trouble getting Rev running on Mandriva 2009.1 myself last year. However, once it was running it was very problematic on Mandriva. For one thing, in the IDE menus with checkmarks became unusable once the mouse touched them (http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/show_bug.cgi?id=8223).

Another problems was with scrolling fields containing data, that result in the the field not working and 100% CPU crisis (http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/show_bug.cgi?id=8513).

And finally, if you can live with the other two problems, moving the insertion point around the script editor via the keys has so much lag that one ends up over-shooting the target, deleting the wrong text, etc. (http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/show_bug.cgi?id=8495)

From my experience it seems you cannot even begin to expect Rev to work in any reasonable way on Linux unless you are running Ubuntu.

Regards,

Bernard

Return to “Linux”