Unix absolute minmum build to run rev GUI standalone

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

n.allan
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Unix absolute minmum build to run rev GUI standalone

Post by n.allan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I have been asked to develop an embedded linux app. Since I have reventerprise in my toolbox, I should probably ask here.

What is the absolute minumum required to run a full featured gui standalone in linux? With color chooser, printing etc...

I'm talking kernel, X, window manager nothing else?

I have tried running standalones from Xwindows but it complains about needing 32 bit graphics.

I have seen other posts about a rev based os, but as a starting point we would need an absolute minimum spec (lean and mean) unix OS to build upon.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't want to be too negative, but...

In my experience the only version of Linux that I've been able to get Revolution to run on acceptably is Ubuntu. I installed it in Mandriva, and the menus are all messed up. I then realised that the best I could hope for would be to run it in a VM. So, using VirtualBox I installed several of the 'lite' versions of linux, but none of them would run Rev adequately.

There are so many variations of Linux, and it is such a small market to RunRev, that I don't think they even bother to try to resolve the issues, provided it works on Ubuntu. It means I can't run Rev on my preferred distribution, but I understand their position.

Since you have an Enterprise license, I think you get a few pre-paid support incidents. Why not try using up 1 of those to get definitive answers from RunRev support. I hope that works out for you.

gragon

Post by gragon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 am

In my experience the only version of Linux that I've been able to get Revolution to run on acceptably is Ubuntu.
I would like to add that I have successfully used runrev (the IDE and resulting apps) on the Linux distros:
Fedora 8, 10, 11
RHEL 3 & 4
OpenSUSE 10+ & 11+
Ubuntu 8.04 & 9.04

I stopped using Mandriva shortly after it departed from being Mandrake, so I have no experience running runrev on that distro.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm very happy for you.

I just tried to start Rev Enterprise 3.5gm2 on Suse 10.2. It crashed immediately. The exact same install works in Ubuntu, but in Mandriva the menus are all messed up.

Last year I installed it in Suse and all the text was in Chinese (when every other app's text was in English).

Last year it was crashing for me every day running in Fedora.

Reporting these problems to RunRev was basically a waste of time.

I'll be interested to hear if the original poster gets any kind of helpful response from RunRev concerning minimal requirements for running Rev with Linux.[/quote]

gragon

Post by gragon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 pm

I do recall having some issues with it crashing in OpenSUSE 10, and I do not remember what I did to fix the issue.

I have never been impressed with the look of the GUIs runrev makes in Linux, and the script editor has always been flaky (Syntax highlighting being inconsistent, script editor disappearing completely even though runrev seems to be working fine).

I just keep having faith that they will make serious efforts to make it more reliable. Until then, I keep using Java for my serious cross-platform apps. I just hate having to deal with the VM deployment. That is the biggest runrev selling point to me, it all gets squished into the executable.

Great, there I go rambling again...

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I too keep hoping for improvements with the Linux version of Rev.

Since I'm now using a Linux laptop as my main development platform, I'm glad to have Rev working in Ubuntu inside VirtualBox. At least I can run Rev on Linux (even if it still looks a bit rough round the edges).

I wish RunRev would spend time fixing outstanding bugs, and getting the Linux version to feature-compatibility with the Windows/Mac version. There are about 500 extra bugs in the past 12 months alone.

They have only RealBasic as a competitor in the cross-platform development market. But my out-of-the-box experience of Rev on Linux is much worse than my out-of-the-box experience of RealBasic on Linux. That's depressing.

Instead of concentrating on their core competence they are going off in the direction of web scripting/web plugin - an area where there are masses of competitor technologies.

My subscription to updates runs out in about 6 months, and I don't see myself renewing. I expect the Linux version has gone as far as it's going to go.

Return to “Linux”