Sound on Arch Linux Derivative

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

yosefzeev

Post by yosefzeev » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:14 pm

I am using an Arch Linux distro. I have mplayer installed along with VLC. When I use the player object in Livecode 9, all I get are crosshairs like I can make a little window similar to a button but then I get bupkis.

I switched down to LiveCode seven point one point four and still get a window looking box with properties, but then seemingly no sound. I know sound is an issue on Livecode in Linux, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone made any recent progress or has Livecode working on an Arch derivative.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Sound on Arch Linux Derivative

Post by wsamples » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:29 am

I have been running Arch based distros for several years. Livecode can work very well in Arch but it varies depending on your desktop environment. If you don't see any problems when you open the message box then you're good. There are issues generally with the browser widget and the player object in Linux. You can probably place a player object on your stack using the menu. It sounds like you tried to drag it. It's always dangerous to assume your own experience is universal when running Livecode in Linux, so... I get a player that shows no controls. I can start the player using "start" but the file plays to the end. It doesn't respond to "stop" whether sent from the message box or a button. I get the impression that this might be typical in Linux.

yosefzeev

Post by yosefzeev » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:56 pm

wsamples wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:29 am
I can start the player using "start" but the file plays to the end. It doesn't respond to "stop" whether sent from the message box or a button. I get the impression that this might be typical in Linux.
Could I get you to explain what you mean by when you mention you use "start?" I see everything else the way you are seeing it, but I am uncertain in what way you are starting the player.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:03 pm

If you look at the dictionary entry for the player object you will see a list of properties, messages, and commands related to the player object, including the start and stop commands. In the IDE you can issue these from the message box. In a working stack you would most likely put them in button scripts, especially if the player's native controls are hidden. For example:

Code: Select all

on mouseup
start player "myplayer"
end mouseup
or

Code: Select all

on mouseup
stop player "myplayer"
end mouseup

yosefzeev

Post by yosefzeev » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am

Yeah, I have been trying that to no avail. I spun up a copy of Q4OS in Virtualbox as well, and experienced the same issue. I am guessing there is something screwy with the sound system. That's annoying, but not fatal to my project at hand.

Return to “Linux”