How to Keep Tool Bar on working plan ? even with Ctrl+T

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

liveme

Re: How to Keep Tool Bar on working plan ? even with Ctrl+T

Post by liveme » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Manjaro 5.10.2.2/ (KDE PLasma 5.20.4) / LC 9.6.1
Thanks @bogs
Any existing link for your list of Distro/Dm ? :idea:
I'm Kind of used to take whatever comes with it (but Xfce ...thought its light) and try adapting to it.
my major concern - at this time - is getting the best Windows Background dark mode feature for desktop use and of LC lately.
*I heard Manjaro could offer some way to customize the Window's frame theme... (*openbox) but havent played with that yet.

@wsamples, no biggie, I've been playing with Linux for years and faced those issues I guess.
Still my No1 choice. :!:
Thanks for your return on experience !
Not sure I would know how to install another DM if not an easy out-of-the-box distro feature.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm

I use XFCE with LiveCode, and have done since LC 2.2 with no problems whatsoever.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:16 pm

liveme wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 pm
Thanks @bogs
Any existing link for your list of Distro/Dm ? :idea:
Actually, I just searched the distro's you listed and grabbed the default DM(s) for each.

But, if your looking for a 'one stop shop' to find out about any distro (not limited to 'nix), you could do worse than https://distrowatch.com/

Not too sure what you mean really on the 2nd part, all DM's have some kind of theming available.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm
I use XFCE with LiveCode, and have done since LC 2.2 with no problems whatsoever.
Have you tried typing into the message box with the tool palette open lately? :twisted:

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 am

richmond62 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm
Not to gang up on you, Richmond...

It might be helpful to curious readers for you to specify you're having good fortune using Xubuntu. If you've switched distros then let us know what's working for you now, please!

I would never challenge what someone says is their experience and do not do so here. I did note that my personal experience in testing this has been that LiveCode works well in some distros using Xfce and not so well with other distros using Xfce. I don't recall having the window hiding problem the OP is interested in solving, but the issue with the tools palette and message box having a focus conflict is something I found in a few distros using Xfce, including Arch and the Fedora Xfce spin.

While it's possibly helpful for people to know where they might expect to find trouble, it's undoubtedly more helpful to know where we might find happiness and success :)

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 am

Have you tried typing into the message box with the tool palette open lately?
Yes, and nearly ALWAYS on Xubuntu.

Messed around with Debian + XFCE and a Greek distro whose name I cannot remember, and dumped both of those because
of entirely different factors to LiveCode.

I also run LiveCode on an old 32-bit laptop using the LXLE distro (which uses another windowing thing with
another confusing acronym: LXDE) without any obvious problems at all (well, beyond my trying to remember
all those rather pointless acronyms: RGMP: Richmond Gets Mental Problems 8) ).
Last edited by richmond62 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:26 am

Heh
richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 am
Funny, the most number of bugs I've filed (In recent years) have been for some combo of that (message box / tool palette or, alternately, the "backdrop of blindness" <my personal top pick for turning off as the default for a new install>) using Ubuntu + XFCE and nearly any other distro with that DM, or any distro + almost any other DM, starting at the end of the 8.x series to current.

I won't even go into the clipboard issues, where you can copy to the clipboard and maybe paste somewhere else, maybe not (but I guess I just did) :roll:

LXDE (abbreviation for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) isn't too bad and is very customizable for one of the truly lightweight DM's, but I don't run the combo enough to have caught anything in it.

There were a few early on tougher nuts to crack in MATE, but M.W. made some herculean efforts on that DM.

BTW, I just realized what a faux pas and very confusing mess I myself made out of referring to desktop environments as DM's instead of DE's :oops: :roll:
wsamples wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 am
Not to gang up on you, Richmond...
Psst, pssssstttttttttttt....
<You grab his feet while I club him over the head!>
I would never challenge what someone says is their experience and do not do so here.
Good, thats MY job ! :twisted:
the issue with the tools palette and message box having a focus conflict is something I found in a few distros using Xfce, including Arch and the Fedora Xfce spin.
Curious, the BR's submitted above were all on .deb based distros, and mostly Ubuntu since that is the only distro supported (that I do NOT care to run, (but it has to be the special secret sauce version number, which you can only find with the super secret decoder ring (or by reading old forum posts (or by having participated in them or caused most of them yourself :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ))))
While it's possibly helpful for people to know where they might expect to find trouble, it's undoubtedly more helpful to know where we might find happiness and success
You had me right up to that point :P
After all, if you only want to know where to find happiness and success, you might as well stick to the supported recipe, i.e. --
LiveCode supports the following Linux distributions, on 32-bit or 64-bit Intel/AMD or compatible processors:
Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04
Fedora 23 & 24
Debian 7 (Wheezy) and 8 (Jessie) [server]
CentOS 7 [server]

*Editor note <meaning bogs > I believe CentOS got terminated and will be a rolling release, so I'm not exactly sure how long they should remain on the list.
... and use that distros default for desktop (GNOME3). I can say it is not show stopping on the greater majority of DE's, but it isn't always roses and butter either, and "show stopping" depends on whose show your stopping ;)

BTW - I'd be remiss if I didn't add that almost all Lc Windows releases run under WINE on 'nix, HOWEVER, I don't think I would recommend that anyone do serious development on an IDE running in an ... well, I was going to say emulator* hee hee, but, well, you know.

*Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator")

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:48 am

using Ubuntu + XFCE
Xubuntu is NOT simply Ubuntu + XFCE.

If you install "plain, vanilla" Ubuntu, and then install XFCE on top of it you get something different
to Xubuntu.

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to ... ux-pc.html

"Alternatively, instead of the Xubuntu desktop, you can also use the ‘Xfce Session’."

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:48 am
If you install "plain, vanilla" Ubuntu, and then install XFCE on top of it you get something different
to Xubuntu.
LOL

What happens if you install bare minimum Ubuntu, and all of the available desktops?

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:19 pm

You can go bonkers logging in and out of all the different desktops: I've never got that far, but at one point I did have a system
installed on a desktop PC with 3 desktop managers.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 pm

You know, some things you said earlier intrigued me enough to install Xubuntu to test out your theory -
richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 am
Have you tried typing into the message box with the tool palette open lately?

and ...
richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:48 am
using Ubuntu + XFCE
Xubuntu is NOT simply Ubuntu + XFCE.

to Xubuntu.
Both of these tickled my curiosity, although I should have ultimately known better, so I actually dl'd and installed Xubuntu to see what difference there *might* be that would allow you to use the message box while the tool palette was open. Of course, there is none, you can not use the message box and tool palette on Xubuntu, any more than on Ubuntu + XFCE, the tool palette will always steal focus away from the message box, just as shown in my official bug report.

What is, therefore, the difference you insist is there between Xubuntu, and Ubuntu + XFCE ? (I ask this knowing I am a sucker before it even leaves my keyboard :P )

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:41 pm

I have never had this problem with 12 machines
running versions of LiveCode on Xubuntu for 15 years.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:35 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:41 pm
I have never had this problem with 12 machines
running versions of LiveCode on Xubuntu for 15 years.
I had not seen this particular problem either until the end of the 8 series / beginning of the 9 series, but have reproduced it on every recent XFCE combo I've come across.

So, the next question would be which version # / name of Xubuntu and which vers. of Lc are you running?

liveme

Post by liveme » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:06 pm

=Not too sure what you mean really on the 2nd part, all DM's have some kind of theming available.
For sure, it happens that from all the DarkMode theme I'm using, none actually offered the Top Bar color that I'm looking for.I had designed a model and post it on a designers'forum and a user told me I could further customize my own them using openbox, I've just downloaded it, but not worked on my design yet... but that will come if openbox really allows me to bring such customization....
Last edited by liveme on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liveme

Post by liveme » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 pm

So, the next question would be which version # / name of Xubuntu and which vers. of Lc are you running?
Post by liveme » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Return to “Linux”