How to install and run LC on Pop!_OS Linux distro ?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

fredofromstart

How to install and run LC on Pop!_OS Linux distro ?

Post by fredofromstart » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm

I just installed Pop!_OS 20-04 LTS (which is a free and open-source Linux distribution, based upon Ubuntu, featuring a custom GNOME desktop) on my computer, and I like it very much (it works much metter than any other Linux distro I ever tried), but it seems that the Community LiveCode installer is not up to the task of installing it there. Whenever I try to install LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-9_6_1-Linux . x64 (547 MB), I get the message : "Installer slave quit unexpectedly."

I wonder : Are there only small adjustments to be made for LiveCode to be ready to be installed and runned on Pop!_OS, or is it a big endeavour ? I think Pop!_OS is here to stay, anyway, and that the LiveCode team should try to accommodate it.

To any LiveCode developper here, please tell me whether I can expect this to work soon or not. ^^

Thanks !

Fred Lemire

Ref. : Ticket#2020092110001333 - Re: Cannot install LiveCode Community on Pop!_OS

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to install and run LC on Pop!_OS Linux distro ?

Post by richmond62 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:07 pm

https://pop.system76.com/

"I think Pop!_OS is here to stay"

On what evidence do you base that statement: I've seen more Ubuntu spinoffs than I could shake a fist at come and go.

Presumably, as Pop!_OS is an Ubuntu derivative you install it in exactly the same way as you install it on all the other
Bubuntu, Cubuntu, Dubuntu, Pop_In, Pop_Out, Pop_Off Ubuntu derivatives.

So the original message just looks like someone trailing their coat.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Thank you for writing, Fred.

I'm very familiar with Pop!, having invited the System 76 crew to present on it at an event I co-organize at the SoCal Linux Expo. Good people there are System 76, and Pop! is a solid distro.

I'm surprised something so close to base Ubuntu has an issue installing LC. I use Ubuntu daily here on three machines, installing each new upgrade without a hitch.

I haven't looked into LC on Pop!, and it's a busy season here so as much as I'd like to I may not be able to help.

To get you going, you might try the LC installer option to install for you only, as that should bypass the separate process for elevating privileges giving rise to that error.

There are a lot of distros and it's hard to support them all, but hopefully we can find resources within the community to support Pop! without the solo-install workaround.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

fredofromstart

Post by fredofromstart » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 pm

@FouthWorld :

Thanks for your answer ! I tried to do the « solo-install », but it doesn't work either.

Another option to consider : To run LC remotely on a web-hosting server that I rent. Can that be done ?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 pm

fredofromstart wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 pm
@FouthWorld :

Thanks for your answer ! I tried to do the « solo-install », but it doesn't work either.
Thanks for trying that.

To be honest, I'm quite surprised Pop! is having difficulty with LC, given that nearly everything in their config is identical to the Ubuntu I use every day.

And it's even stranger that using the install option that completely bypasses the secondary installer process generates an error about that secondary process.

I'm stumped. I wish I had some to explore this directly, but it's a busy week for me here.
Another option to consider : To run LC remotely on a web-hosting server that I rent. Can that be done ?
A server, maybe, but a web server is of course only useful for delivering web services. There is a version of LC that runs as a CGI under Apache and other CGI-compatible web server apps, but unless your interest is developing web pages that probably won't be satisfying.

If your interest is in developing GUI apps, you may be able to install a VNC or RDP screen-sharing server on that system, with a corresponding client on your work machine. But although many people are comfortable using screen sharing, I am absolutely not, at least for remote control, except when I've gone out of my way to manually reconfigure the software to be limited to LAN only.

I wonder if running ldd with the LC executable may give us useful info. Or strace.
Richard Gaskin

fredofromstart

Post by fredofromstart » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 pm

RESOLVED !

My fault. :? I had neglected that part of the installation procedure :
NB- The installer will not run if you are on a 64 bit system with no 32 bit compatibility libraries. Please install these before attempting the above. e. g. For Ubuntu 14-04, the following terminal command will install these libraries:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2<dot>0-0:i386
I suggest to put that part before the other instructions, so that others do not stumble on that rock again. :wink:

Thank you for your time !

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Super! Glad that worked out.

Keep us posted if we can help with anything you're building there with LiveCode.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Linux”