Commodore OS Vision

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

n.allan
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Commodore OS Vision

Post by n.allan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I always like to hark back to my youngling days. I just Googled Commodore Amiga and stumbled upon the new Commodore OS Vision. It is a Gnome based Linux Distro complete with bells and whistles. I am downloading just now. Hopefully Commodore can bring more Grist to the Linux mill...The plus side is we can already develop for this platform, right out of the gate!

FourthWorld

Re: Commodore OS Vision

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Sounds like fun. Will you be running this in a VM? Please keep us posted on how it goes.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 pm

I will not be using a VM, My hardware is not exactly cutting edge....It would run like cold treacle.
In fact now you mention it, my clunky work laptop will not run this OS due to the fact it is a 64 bit Linux distro! :(

My initial intention was to try and integrate my copy of Livecode web server for Linux to be used as a scripting host.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 pm

OK I was wrong. The OS runs very well! Simple install and full compiz fusion effects out of the box, recognized all the hardware on my Lenovo N200 3000 immediately.

I Downloaded the latest LC Linux installer form the store, changed the permissions of the file to enable execute, then installed without a hitch.

You can even compile for windows on this OS and run it using WINE, which is installed as default. Pretty Cool.

I'm very happy. A very capable and user friendly Linux OS with all the stuff you could ever need!

Well done to the Commodore USA Team!

Return to “Linux”