LiveCode will only launch Chrome, not Firefox

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rwhe

LiveCode will only launch Chrome, not Firefox

Post by rwhe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 pm

On two different installations of Ubuntu 13.04, I've found that LiveCode 6 always calls Google Chrome with "launch url", never Firefox.

I've set Firefox to be the default browser in any number of ways, including the official one from the command line. LiveCode still calls Chrome. I've gone as far as to completely uninstall Chrome and make Firefox the only browser on my system. Then "launch url" doesn't launch anything at all.

Can anyone help me with this annoying but not fatal issue?

rwhe

Re: LiveCode will only launch Chrome, not Firefox

Post by rwhe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

I should add that I have a Python script that correctly calls Firefox as the default browser.

rwhe

Post by rwhe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:35 pm

87 people have viewed this thread so far, with no responses. I'm guessing no one who's seen this can answer the question. But is that because...

1. The same thing happens to you, and you don't know what to do about it?
or
2. It never happens to you?

If the latter, are you running some version of Linux other than Ubuntu? What is it?

I'm especially interested in hearing from RunRev representatives. If this is a bug that occurs under every version of Linux, can we expect a fix soon?

Thanks.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm

It's not a bug in LiveCode. I've not seen this happen in either Mint or in openSUSE. I don't know what to tell you about resolving the problem on your systen, though. I do know that from time to time I get a surprise under openSUSE due to the rather byzantine approach to setting default apps which includes a generally functioning simple method and much more complex set of mimetype associations which is not always set the way I expect. I don't know that this exists with Ubuntu, or if it could cause this particular problem anyway... Good luck!

rwhe

Post by rwhe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks. It's working now.

A search for info on Firefox and MIME types indirectly led to the revelation that you can set Firefox to be the default browser from within Firefox's Preferences. I did so, and set Firefox as the default app for HTML for good measure. Now LiveCode will launch Firefox.

Thanks again for your help in pinpointing where the problem lay.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Tried a button with:

on mouseUp
launch url "http:www.runrev.com"
end mouseUp

and over here on UbuntuStudio 13.04 it loaded the URL in Chromium.

So I uninstalled Chromium.

The it launched the URL in Firefox.

Obviously the default is Chrome/Chromium; but if either of those is not present it works without any obvious problems with Firefox.

Return to “Linux”