trouble just installing Revolution on linux

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Joseph

trouble just installing Revolution on linux

Post by Joseph » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Though I am a first time linux user I do know how to install a program using sudo make commands, but that does not appear to be the way Revolution is installed on linux. I cannot find any install instructions for linux, and when I select the linux download it doesn't even look like a linux file structure.

I am running Ubuntu on a mac pro, can any one out there help me?
Joseph @ Daniels & Mara, Inc.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Joseph,

Just decompress the file, store the new folder wherever you like and you're ready to go.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:32 am

oh.

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 am

I tried it, but when i double click the executable file (revolution.x86) nothing happens...

Any other suggestions? Maybe bad install of linux?

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Joseph,

If you decompress the file RevEnt290FullTestBeta10.zip, you get a folder named 2.9.0-dp-3. In that folder, you find an executable with the name Revolution. Nowhere I see an extension x86.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

BIX

Post by BIX » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:27 am

I can't really remember, but I think you need to enable the permission of it to execute it.
BIX

ShieldsOnTour

Post by ShieldsOnTour » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:13 am

Hi Joseph,

What version of Rev for Linux did you download? If it was 2.6.1 then there will be a Revolution.x86 file. As BIX mentioned, you may need to change permissions on it to make it executable : chmod a+x revolution.x86

If you have downloaded one of the 2.9 beta's there will be no revolution.x86 file - the core executable is simply "revolution" and the executable bit should be set correctly by default.

For the final 2.9 release we will be shipping as both RPM and DEB packages (as well as the zip file) so it should make installation much more standard. Oh and finally Revolution Linux will be getting the auto-updating feature too :-)

Regards,

Tim.

nijinsky

Post by nijinsky » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:12 pm

I too have problems with the linux 2.9 version

i downloaded the .zip file to my desktop and extracted to my Home (not ideal) directory. Double clicking on the revolution executable results in a dialogue asking for an application.

eeepc with xandros advanced.

PS if any of the runrev team want to troubl4 shoot this for themselves (an d therefore open up a market) I'm in Edinburgh and can visit at lunchtime.

Cheers
Bob; George Square
Bob Hartley
Armbase Software
Custom PDA databases for Palm and Windows

nijinsky

Post by nijinsky » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Oh dear as soon as I post I find the problem.

It is not set to be an executable.

I use an EEEpc and KDE so simply go to the revolution executale, right click and select the properties. Go to the permissions tab and then check the executabe checkbox.

Rev requires 1024x768 that is not available but it seems to be okay so far.

Cheers
Bob
Bob Hartley
Armbase Software
Custom PDA databases for Palm and Windows

Return to “Linux”