Device Drivers in Revolution

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Wone
Livecode Opensource Backer

Device Drivers in Revolution

Post by Wone » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Has anyone written a driver in Revolution? Would it be possible to translate a driver written in C/C++ to Revolution? I found an open source Linux device driver for the ER1 Robot by Evolution Robotics. It is part of the Player/Stage/Gazebo project.

Gerald Vidic

Post by Gerald Vidic » Wed May 16, 2007 10:09 pm

It isn't really possible to write a "device driver" in Revoluton/Transcript,
for Linux or other platforms.

I dont know the details an communication interface of this robot,
but if it supports serial communication or TCP then ist should be possible to
write an application which uses the standard device drivers supported by the revolution engine.
(unfortunately the current Linux rtevolution engine has a bug which prevents serial (RS232) communication. Hopefully this will be fixed in version 2.9.
vi

Wone

Device Driver

Post by Wone » Sun May 20, 2007 9:10 pm

I wrote a program that communicates through an API socket in Windows. I have the program ported to Linux, but there seems to be some things that doesn't work. Is an API the same as TCP? The program when in Windows opens an API socket on port 9000. I have a driver for Linux, so I assume that I can access the driver from the program. Haven't figure out a way to do it. Any Ideas?

gragon

Post by gragon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:00 am

Wone,

When you say API, are you referring to an Application Programming Interface (API)? Also TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). Therefore the answer to you question is no, API and TCP are not the same thing.

Return to “Linux”