Kubuntu 22.04

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Kubuntu 22.04

Post by richmond62 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:01 am

Although: were I to use Linux as my main development platform for LiveCode I would always favour Xubuntu as for a period of
some 15 years I have never had any problems either installing or running LiveCode on that platform.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:47 am

LiveCode central do have to sort their act out re LiveCode on Linux if they wish to continue to claim
that LiveCode runs on Linux, rather than an extremely small subset of the Linux cosmos.

The first thing they need to do is install an up-to-date version of a Linux distro on a machine
as a benchmark, as continuing to push stuff out about a distro from 2016 is silly,
and probably works against them.
Last edited by richmond62 on Tue May 23, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:47 am
LiveCode central do have to sort their act out re LiveCode on Linux if they wish to continue to claim
that LiveCode runs on Linux, rather than an extremely small subset of the Linux cosmos.
A fair question, one I've raised with them elsewhere but have not yet had an answer.

The parts of the engine unrelated to UI are apparently maintained and likely to remain so, given the need for LC Server and that Linux is the de facto standard OS for public-facing internet infrastructure.

But the GUI integration has not kept up with recent GTK changes, with things like drag-and-drop for files no longer working, triggering non-fatal OS error reports on launch, answer color misalignment, etc. creeping in over recent years.

When Peter Brett and Gordon Frazier were on the team, their love of Linux shined in fit and finish, beginning a return to feature parity with the other two desktop OSes.

With today's team there described as the largest ever, I'd like to believe one of them is the sort who loves GTK and enjoys seeing it used well in a powerful tool like LiveCode.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed May 24, 2023 5:55 pm

I know nothing about Linux but I do want to run LC on my Chromebook, which has a Linux partition. I tried once with help from Mark Weider and was able to get it installed, but every window was treated as a separate app (or something like that) and they didn't communicate with each other, so none of the palettes worked nor did the main LC menu bar.

I don't need to program on Chromebook but I'd like to run the IDE to test some stacks. I no longer have a working MacBook. I wonder if a newer Linux release would help.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

stam

Post by stam » Wed May 24, 2023 7:00 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:55 pm
I know nothing about Linux but I do want to run LC on my Chromebook, which has a Linux partition. I tried once with help from Mark Weider and was able to get it installed, but every window was treated as a separate app (or something like that) and they didn't communicate with each other, so none of the palettes worked nor did the main LC menu bar.

I don't need to program on Chromebook but I'd like to run the IDE to test some stacks. I no longer have a working MacBook. I wonder if a newer Linux release would help.
I’m pretty sure I got it running some years ago on CentOS, but had to dual boot into CentOS. But then it just was not as good as just using on macOS so that was just an interesting experiment and nothing more…

Having said that, with the new web based IDE coming, the actual device used will be secondary… might even have a reason to actually use my ancient 12’ iPad Pro… (don’t judge me, it seemed like a good idea at the time ;) )

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 24, 2023 8:18 pm

stam wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:00 pm
Having said that, with the new web based IDE coming, the actual device used will be secondary…
... except for the segment most profitable in our community, those shipping desktop products made with LiveCode.

Downstream revenue offers more predictable, stable upstream.

With nearly half of end-user activity still on desktop, and that activity skewing heavily B2B, and B2B being far more profitable than B2C with bigger avg spend and lower CAC, the most stable growth opportunity lies with the strongest offering the company has had the whole time.

Not to suggest one segment be given exclusive focus, but just a hope that this still-largely-untapped segment isn't forgotten.
might even have a reason to actually use my ancient 12’ iPad Pro… (don’t judge me, it seemed like a good idea at the time ;) )
I use my tablet often. But yeah, you and I are in the 3%, the segment that was going to kill laptops. :)
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed May 24, 2023 9:17 pm

B2B, B2C, CAC . . . FAQ me . . . Please explain for the uninitiated.

stam

Post by stam » Thu May 25, 2023 12:03 am

Well, Googling “BTB acronym” returns over 70 definitions, most likely “back to business” or “business to business”.

However the #1 hit returned and most certainly entertaining:
Bring the booty:D ;)
I’m sure that is more profitable lol !!

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu May 25, 2023 12:19 am

True, I could use the online interface when it happens. I installed a couple of apps for Linux but don't use those much. They take a long time to start up because the emulator has to load first.

I use my tablet(s) all the time, they're my primary communication device when I'm at home. I only sit down at the Mac when I need to program. If I'm not on a tablet I'm on my Chromebook, which I like a lot.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 25, 2023 12:47 am

richmond62 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:17 pm
B2B, B2C, CAC . . . FAQ me . . . Please explain for the uninitiated.
B2B: Business-to-Business
B2C: Business-to-Consumer
CAC: Customer Acquisition Cost

If you need more (and I'd hope more here do, that we see more folks making a serious go of publishing software):
https://www.saasgenius.com/saas-glossary/terms/

My current favorite channel on SaaS and related topics:
https://www.youtube.com/@MicroConf

Dive in. Dive deep. There are 10,000 niche product categories waiting to be discovered and brought to market...
Richard Gaskin

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 25, 2023 12:53 am

jacque wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:19 am
True, I could use the online interface when it happens.
Ever notice how many solutions in our LC world are increasingly based around JavaScript? I don't expect that to slow down.

It's worth learning. Even just for LC stuff. But it also opens up a whole different world...
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

XFCE and 32-bit.

Post by richmond62 » Sun May 28, 2023 11:00 am

For those who care about this sort of thing (Me, Myself and I alone?), having got a bit 'browned off' with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS (now no longer supported) on Dad's old 32-bit Toshiba, I installed Debian 11 XFCE 32-bit, and after an initial fiddle (i.e. getting my user log-in into the sudoers list, and removing non-existent CDs from the repository list) it is now up-and-running like a charm.

I installed LC Community 7.1.4 (OK, I'm kinky, but I like that version) and 9.6.3 with only a single hitch (which I also experienced
the other day when installing via XFCE onto that Kubuntu install I documented above) - that the 9.6.3 installer froze at the end of the
'happy green line'; but, as LC was already installed I sent the thing a KILL signal and everything was alright.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:00 am

Ever notice how many solutions in our LC world are increasingly based around JavaScript?
Does that slightly beg the question?

Certainly it makes me ask a few questions:

1. Shouldn't the LC team be jumping through hoops to provide services that currently require JavaScript inwith LiveCode?

2. How 'far' should a programming language 'stretch' before it has to co-opt another programming language?

3. If co-opting another language (such as JavaScript) is felt to be acceptable shouldn't that be set out in the LC documentation?

Return to “Linux”