Farewell Livecode...?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

redfield

Farewell Livecode...?

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am

Hi everybody,
I have been using Livecode (Community 9-6-3) on an Arch based system -> RebornOS. I have now switched to a different Arch based system, which is EndeavourOS. Here the Livecode installer is not recognized as anything :shock: . No file that has to do with Livecode is recognized as anything and nothing will execute (of course I have given permission to execute). I tried installing the Windows version via Wine, but that does not work.
So unless someone out there in the Livecode world knows a solution, I guess my Livecode journey has come to an end :( .

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Farewell Livecode...?

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:00 pm

Can you run a browser on that machine?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:31 pm

Frankly, as the Linux version is only guaranteed for a 6 year old version of Ubuntu, I not particularly surprised.

It does continue to work in all the post-2016 Debian derivatives I have tried it on.

So, my Qs would be:

1. Do you have objection to running a Debian derivative?

2. Why did you choose to install an Arch derivative?

If the answer to #1 is "not really", and your answer to #2 is NOT "running an Arch derivative is mission-critical" I would install a Debian derivative right now, and then write a strongly worded message to LiveCode suggesting that they "get their skates on" re running LC on both non-Debs and testing things against something a peerie bit more up to date than an Ubuntu distro from 2016.

redfield

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:00 pm
A browser? You mean like Chrome or Firefox? Sure - in fact I can run anything on the machine, except for Livecode.

redfield

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:02 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:31 pm
1. Do you have objection to running a Debian derivative?
Well yes, in so far as I prefer a rolling release system and I've always felt very comfortable with my Arch systems (Manjaro, Antergos, Reborn, you name them). I could install a VM with Ubuntu or whatever and run Livecode from there. However I would never be able to run any Livecode App on my main system, which is a mess :x .

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:03 pm

I don't know about rolling releases, but, every time I check (on average every 2 days) Xubuntu has updated components to install.

stam

Post by stam » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:03 pm

redfield wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
A browser? You mean like Chrome or Firefox? Sure - in fact I can run anything on the machine, except for Livecode.
I think Richard’s point is that there will be a web based IDE in the not-too-distant-future. Not sure that it will let you build apps though, and not sure that any apps built with LC will run on your particular chosen flavour of Linux.

Perhaps some required dependencies are missing. Might be worth contacting LiveCode support to ask.

S.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:24 pm

There's nothing about EndeavorOS per se that prevents it from running Livecode. I'm running the EOS Openbox community version and Livecode runs without issue apart from the usual Linux caveats. Try opening a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

ldd [/PATH/TO/LIVECODE/INSTALLER]
And see if it tells you you're missing something. You could also try running the installer from a terminal, if you haven't already, to see what it complains about.

Choice of distro is very subjective but I absolutely agree with you about the convenience of rolling releases generally as well as the Arch repos, including the AUR. Good luck.

redfield

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:31 pm

wsamples wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:24 pm
There's nothing about EndeavorOS per se that prevents it from running Livecode.
Weird :? . It's on a dual-boot system with Win11 - could it have anything to do with that?

wsamples wrote:
Try opening a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

ldd [/PATH/TO/LIVECODE/INSTALLER]
Will do at the weekend when I'm back home.

wsamples wrote:
You could also try running the installer from a terminal, if you haven't already, to see what it complains about.
Have done so. There is no output - nothing, nothing at all :( .

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:58 pm

The dual boot is not the issue. Is it possible you downloaded and are attempting to run a 32bit installer on a 64bit machine? The 64bit installer ends with x64 and the 32bit installer ends with x86.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 pm

redfield wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
Thanks. I asked because the system requirements in the Release Notes suggest that the dependencies LC requires are nearly identical to those needed for running LC (Gtk, Pango, etc).

Maybe the next diagnostic step would be to run the LC app from the command line with ldd to see if it notes missing dependencies.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:54 pm

Every time I have NOT used the "You only" install on Linux, LiveCode has refused to work.
Last edited by richmond62 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redfield

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:15 pm

wsamples wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:58 pm
Is it possible you downloaded and are attempting to run a 32bit installer on a 64bit machine?
That seems impossible but I will check again.

FourthWorld wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Maybe the next diagnostic step would be to run the LC app from the command line with ldd to see if it notes missing dependencies.
Will do.

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:54 pm
Every time I have NOT used the "You only" install on Linux LiveCode has refused to work.
I remember that issue from my first Livecode installation, since then I always choose "You only". However in this case, since the installer doesn't execute, there's no chance of choosing "You only" or anything else.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 pm

Ah, pardon my stupidity, I did not actually jalouse the problem was with the installer.

redfield

Post by redfield » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:34 pm

No "stupidity" involved as far as I'm concerned :D . But yes, the problem is with the installer and also anything else that has to do with Livecode. Neither the installer nor any program built with Livecode are recognized as - well - anything :? .

Return to “Linux”