Backporting for OS 9

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

edallen

Backporting for OS 9

Post by edallen » Thu May 31, 2007 7:06 pm

I did an arithmetic game stack for my daughter's first grade class in Revolution Media 2.7.1 and after taking great pains over Quicktime version codec compatibility, discovered at the end of the process last night that I hadn't paid attention to Revolution version compatibility. I can't have it run on the OS 9.2 Macs in her classroom because the Player for OS 9 is still at 2.6.1 and not file format compatible with stacks made under 2.7.1.

It is simply scripted and everything I wrote should work in 2.6.1 if recreated.

Is there any handy stack extraction tool that will let me dump the properties of objects and then reimport under an older version of Revolution to rebuild the stack, or should I just do it by hand? I can see it could be easily done as a pair of stacks, exporting with one in the new version and importing with one under the older version, but don't have time to write one myself at the moment. It would be quicker to rebuild this small stack by hand than write the backporting tool.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Thu May 31, 2007 9:08 pm

Dear edallen,

Media was created without the ability to export to different formats on purpose, as you probably already understood. So, there is no way to export from Media to an older version of Revolution.

A solution might be to download and install a trial version of Studio Enterprise. These editions of Revolution are able to export to the legacy format, which you should be able to openin the player.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

edallen

Post by edallen » Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks, I have Enterprise on my work desktop, though I didn't remember any export to older file formats. I'll look at that.

...goes and looks ...

OK, I see it in the Save as dialog. Cool. :-)

edallen

Still having problems

Post by edallen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:51 am

For some reason, the Dreamcard Player 2.6.1 that I downloaded and copied to a couple of 9.2 Macs is failing to startup with error code 1,010.

Seeing if I can get it to work as a standalone made from my old Revolution version 2.2 as a workaround.

Return to “Mac OS”