LC Native m1 build

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ksyed0

LC Native m1 build

Post by ksyed0 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:47 pm

Hello, I'm surprised that I haven't seen many threads and nothing official about M1 / ARM Mac support, especially given that LC is available on many platforms already.

Is there something official that I might have missed?

I realize that it would "eventually" be supported so please no comments of this nature, "eventually" the sun will expire as well but the question is "when" not "if"! :)

...and yes I know that LC works well through Rosetta 2.

Thank you!

Klaus

Re: LC Native m1 build

Post by Klaus » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Hi ksyed0,

welcome to the forum! :-)

I think (and am sure) the upcoming version 10 of LC will also bring a native ARM build.
However the current LC 10 DP 2 does not (yet) support this.

Best

Klaus

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LC Native m1 build

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:28 pm

I don't believe Apple has announced a date when the Fat Binary format will no longer be supported. If the past architectural shifts are any indication, I would expect that to fall somewhere between 24 and 36 months from now.

Since the LC engine premiered in '92, many such shifts have happened across many platforms. IIRC the only deadline that passed before the team had updated the engine was Google's change to Android apps from APK to Bundle, and even there the LC team came through within a month or so after the deadline.

All other platform shifts have been met before the deadline, and given the nature of the tooling change required and how far away we are from that being a necessity, I would expect M1 native support much sooner than Apple's deadline.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Mac OS”