MacOS verifies LiveCode on every launch

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jamesk169

MacOS verifies LiveCode on every launch

Post by jamesk169 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

I am having a problem with Mac OS (10 11 6) checking the LiveCode app (9 6 1) every time that it is launched. I wouldn’t mind if the process was quick, but it takes several minutes.

I did some searches in the forums / on Google but haven’t found a good fix yet. Perhaps I am not using the correct search terms.

I tried to circumvent this verification process by going to the “Security and Privacy” settings control panel in the Mac OS "Settings app" and I have “Allowed apps downloaded from: Anywhere” but the behavior has not changed.

Thanks,
James

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: MacOS verifies LiveCode on every launch

Post by richmond62 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm

Queer when it does not happen on MacOS 11.

Might be a good idea to ask that sort of Q over here: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/os- ... 10-11.184/
Last edited by richmond62 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davidv

Post by Davidv » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:20 am

I have not encountered this problem myself on any of the combinations of MacOS and Livecode that I have used, so I have a speculative query. What convinces you MacOS is the one delaying things? What exact message or dialog do you see?

If it were MacOS then firstly, setting to Anywhere or simply approving Livecode the first time it loaded would suffice to clear the future path. Secondly, MacOS does not go anywhere else to make its decision, let alone take several minutes over it. Livecode checking for updates or licences though, can be slow. What are your preferences in Livecode with regard to checking for updates? Under what licence are you running 9.6.1? What virus checking or the like is undertaken on your machine? All speculative queries, but I need convincing the we are looking in the right place to respond to your question.

jamesk169

Post by jamesk169 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:00 pm

richmond62: Thanks for that link, it had some interesting information about the verification problem that I have been experiencing. I learned about some new interesting command line tools that directly affect those pesky security settings.

Davidv: It was definitely a Mac OS dialog. It had the same icon as one of the control panels I mentioned previously: "Security and Privacy." Others have run into this problem in the past with Mac OS (with applications other than LiveCode) and have left scattered forum posts across the Internet.

The exact text of the dialog was: ' <<Security & Privacy icon>> Verifying "LiveCode Indy 9 6 1" <<progress bar>> '

Ultimately, I ended up fiddling with the settings, turning restrictions on (app store & trusted developers only), then turning them off again (allowing any program to run, as I described in my original post), and finally rebooting the machine. I went through this cycle more than once and by midnight, when I ran LiveCode, it came up without the verification step happening again. Something was strange with the security permissions.

Thanks for both of your efforts on this problem!

Return to “Mac OS”