Create Folder with Sandboxed Mac App doesn't work

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

paul@researchware.com
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Create Folder with Sandboxed Mac App doesn't work

Post by paul@researchware.com » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:21 pm

booee wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:55 pm
I did notice this just now:
viewtopic.php?t=34055
<dict>
<key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
<true/>
<key>com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write</key>
<true/>
</dict>
My info.plist does NOT contain these things. Any idea why?
The general problem I ran into is that the number of entitlements since Calalina is poorly documented by Apple and keeps growing. It is such a problem, there are 3rd parties trying to reverse engineer entitlements and maintain databases (see http://newosxbook.com/ent.jl?osVer=MacOS15&p=possess). For us, it was only with Livecode, Ltd's help that we got a set of entitlements that mostly covers things so our app will run under Catalina and we still need to have the user manually grant Full Disk Access (there appears to be NO entitlement for "Full Disk Access") and occasionally users still get prompted for permissions (Allow/Deny).
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

booee

Post by booee » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 am

Yeah, it seems like a total mess.

I, unfortunately, can't even get to the point where the App asks for permission.
Basically, it dies the moment I Sandbox things. It asks for permission prior, and performs all of the necessary actions...but Sandboxing just breaks it.

I can't tell if it's a Livecode or App Wrapper thing, or if it's something I'm doing incorrectly. Unfortunately, Livecode really sucks and is limited when it comes to making OS builds. App Wrapper has almost zero documentation or help. And I think the population of people building Mac apps using Livecode is extremely small, so the resources are massively limited and dated. I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on LC for the foreseeable future though.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:28 am

booee, I like to keep up with other options. Which multiplatform scripting tools have you found that provide turnkey builds for Apple's latest OS changes?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

paul@researchware.com

Post by paul@researchware.com » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be too quick to blame LiveCode. From what I have seen on Apple's own developer forums, you are likely to run into entitlement problems regardless of what development tool you use - including Apple's own. At the risk of starting a platform war, I think the problem here is solely on Apple. They are trying to add too many layers of too complex security without adequate developer documentation or quality assurance. Their goal may be noble - a more secure device - but the actual approach leaves a lot to be desired from a developer perspective.
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:33 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:28 am
booee, I like to keep up with other options. Which multiplatform scripting tools have you found that provide turnkey builds for Apple's latest OS changes?
@Richard - did you ever look at Godot ? It lets you write code in a number of languages, and ports (as far as I know) to any platform that Lc does. I tested a simple app (although it is a game engine, it can be used for regular stuff) in a thread on this forum, which was written and compiled on Linux.

The volunteers who tested it all said it worked, of course, being a simple test app it sure didn't have folder access in it so I can't say on that score, and due to the lack of time I've had this last year, I was unable to delve further into it, but thought I might mention it again since you asked the OP the question.

Return to “Mac OS”